Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 legacy 2.5 swap into a 1998 legacy 2.5 car?

ok, i thought i had this figured out but i'm getting nervous!

2 outback wagons....

i have a 1999 30th anniversary obw 2.5 5 speed  that's crashed but has a great drivetrain.

i have another 1998 obw 2.5 5 speed that has a great body/int but has a bad engine.

would this be a direct swap for engine and tranny?

thanks in advance

g

Edited by hogweed

99 ej25 DOHC engine intro a 98 ej25 car....

the engine is plug an play.

the bell housing of the engine is different

so you will only have 4 engine to trans bolts to use,

but once it is bolted in you are good to go.

the trans will not swap.

don't even try.

it fits 00 - 03 cars, outbacks.

Edited by johnceggleston

99 ej25 DOHC engine intro a 98 ej25 car....

the engine is plug an play.

the bell housing of the engine is different

so you will only have 4 engine to trans bolts to use,

but once it is bolted in you are good to go.

the trans will not swap.

don't even try.

it fits 00 - 03 cars, outbacks.

ok, so no-go on the 99 manual trans into the 98 outback wagon

thank you

if they are both mt the trans should work. You may need the rear diff if the ratios are wrong.. 1999 2.5 autos use different electrics than a 1998 and earlier

matt's right,

the 99 AT will not swap.

the manual trans should not be an issue as long as both are ej25 cars.

the final drives will match.

sorry for the bad info.

thank you, fellas!

ok, so i don't think the trans in the 98 is bad i just thought i'd solve the clutch issue that way....but i got to thinking that even if i just swap motors the clutch on the 99 comes out when i pull that motor and can still go into the 98!

now the question is which is easier to do: engine and trans together or just swap engines? i have to think the engine swap is the way to go

Hello! Sorry to intrude, but I have a question as well.

My scenario is very similar to the one that is presented here. I have a 98 Legacy Outback with a 2.5L and AWD Auto. I'd like to take that engine and drop it into a 97 Legacy Outback with a 2.5L and AWD Auto. Everything seems the same except for the 1 year difference. Now I've looked into used engines through http://www.car-part.com and I noticed that when searching for used engines, it seems to not cross over to other years... so searching for an engine for a 97 will find you only used engines for a 97 ...98 for a 98 and so on.  So, my questions are:

-What are the differences? 

-Is there some sort of resource, chart, stats, link that you could direct me to that shows the differences in these different models and drivetrains so that we can figure this out for ourselves?

-I've also been looking into the 2.2L swaps in place of the 2.5L and that also interests me. Is that crossover info. available as well?

engine swap alone is what I would do. The hood can be opened enough to clear engine.

as for year changes and junkyard listings. Subaru changes identifiers every year or so and it confuses junkyards. A 1997 and 1998 2.5 are the same. Evap lines are in a different spot due to rear canister vs front canister, bit you can use it just fine. Hook the lines up as needed. A 2.2 swap works in any 2.5 dohc car until 1999.