Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2008 Subaru Outback Cruise control flashing light

Hi all.  Let me begin by saying that I am a die hard Subaru fan.  I am a single mom with 2 kids and I need my 2008 Outback to last for at least 300K miles.   ( I bought her used.) I take good care of her.  I keep the oil changes up.  Whatever she needs I do my best to financially take care of.  Currently, my cruise control stopped working and the light blinks.  I just paid to replace the brake pads, rotars , oil change and had the transmission flushed.  (When I bought the car a year ago, I was told that the brakes and rotars were brand new lol)  It's all good.  Still love here.  Anyways, the expense of having to fix the cruise is a little out of my reach.  I would like to try and fix it myself before I have to trek through the midwest in winter to see my family with the kids and dog in tow.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

• Like 1

The cruise control light flashing means your throwing a cel code" check engine light". I would take it to a Auto Zone and let them read the codes on the ECU" Engine Control Module" to see if there are any codes, or if you know a good and I always say find a Good Subaru only mechanic if possible to read or see if there are any codes and go from there. Let us know what they find.

• 2 years later...

Our 2008 Outback has this same issue, no cruise control, flashing cruise light, but no CEL and no codes...drove 10 hour trip yesterday without cruise......Very annoying, guessing it has something to do with the electronic throttle.....I really miss the old throttle cAbles, as they simply worked.... So any info on this problem would be appreciated....

• Like 1

I rerouted the wire loom going to the throttle body & erg stuff a couple nights ago, as it was twisted and binding pretty badly, straightened it out and plugged it all back in, now it's running smoother than it had since we've had it, and the cruise control is working again.

Definitely worth trying, as it cost nothing but soon of my time.