Ultimate Subaru Message Board

If You must change, I know from personal Swapping , that all Were Basically the same from 90-00 ....Only diff was in Speed-O Cable Hook-up......

On 90-92 it has a Mechanical Speed-O, on 92 and Newer they went to Electronic Pick-up.....Both Units Bolted into the same spot on the tranny....

All electrical conections were the same.....A few wires changed color, but perform same function......

I Stuck a 70,000 mile 97 trans into a 90 Sedan, with no issues

Hope this helps, John in Oregon.....

Thanks for the replies. I manage a large fleet of vehicles and deal with a very sharp local trans shop (Transmission Solutions in Eugene OR) who put his finger on the problem immediately. It's going in to the shop next Monday for $1400 worth of trans work! I must say that I haven't been all that impressed with the reliablity of Subaru's. At 91,000 miles I replaced the engine (spun two rod bearings) and now at 98,000 it's ready for major transmission work. My wife really loves her '99 Outback; too bad for me. Thanks again for your help.