Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1982 GLF EA81 Hitatchi Carburetor help!

I just recently picked this one up and pulled the carburetor because the previous owner said the accelerator pump leaked. Car does start and run when gas is poured into the carb. My main problem is getting the bowl vent solenoid diaphragm. I cannot find it anywhere and was wondering if someone could help me! I'm pretty desperate to get this hitatchi back together. I could use a vacuum diaphragm also but I believe I can re-use this one. Also the wire was ripped out of the anti-dieseling solenoid and the end is damaged, may be able to fix but I'm not sure that it does too much to worry about at the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

F9626381-A0F3-4043-9A44-D22470580DE6_zps

78F3C121-4C7D-4A31-8E1C-32B7BEDFC511_zps

I would be surprised if you could find a bowl vent solenoid diaphragm from anywhere but a junkyard or a member on this forum.  I don't believe they are available new.

To repair the (common) anti-dieseling solenoid wire, cut back the insulation at the brass fitting and solder the wire.  I also put spade connectors on the wire so I can easily disconnect them whenever I unscrew the solenoid. 

• Like 1

Yes it is! In Okmulgee,Ok. He had a family emergency in April when I originally tried picking it up, I emailed him and told him I had cash in hand and didn't get a reply until last month when I tried again! He was an older guy who didn't know too much about cars. It's running now!

Edited by Nacho1741
  • Like 1