Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Cooling System Conditioner

Bars leaks 1111, steal seal etc... Its a long shot and likely temporary repair if it works. The secret its sodium silicate. As stated above internal leaks are not easily repaired with a miracle in a bottle. The pressures in the combustion process are pushing gasses into the cooling system. This action makes it hard for any cooling system sealant to make its way into the leak area, or for that matter, stay in place. If your leak is creating tail pipe steam there is a small chance a sealant will be sucked into the void and work. Your car must consume coolant if there is any chance for this to work.

Bars head gasket fix 1111 or what ever is at walmart for under 20 bux. Ive used it and it does put shimmery goo in your cooling system. I belive most factory coolants have a small ammount of sodium silicate in them now. This is to help counter-act poor castings, head gasket issues etc. anything to help get the car through the warrenty period. I have no proof tho, just what ive been told by pros in da biz.

Dont care what all the others on here will say, IMO if your car is consuming coolant and you know your HG is done its a 20 buck experiment. If it doesnt work you can flush it hard when you replace your HGs.

Thanks guys. I just was unsure what this stuff was and if adding it to the cooling system would benefit my car at all. 

ihscout, so would you recommend using bars leaks 1111 until I have the equipment and money to change the HGs? I still have not bought the thing that tests the HGs, but I think I will be able to do it sometime this coming week. If I do have a HG leak, would it be advisable to use the bars leak until I can get it fixed sometime next year?

It depends on the leak.  If it's seeping to outside the block,  it might help.  Not much to loose.

If it's the bubbles in the coolant system - combustion chamber to coolant leak, it won't help.  I've run cars with this kind of failure, but check coolant every day.  Sooner or later, it goes bad fast, and you're done.

It sounds like you just want to go try the bottle regardless of what we say, so just go give it a whirl?

we are trying to help but you're not answering questions or telling us anything about the engine and symptoms.

external head gasket leaks - can be mitigated.

internal head gasket leaks - can not.

a bottle might  temporarily help - but i'd be very surprised for it to last until next summer. 

maybe a google search will find someone that's tried this on a Subaru - by golly there's been enough EJ25D's blown i'm sure lots of peopel have tried it.

Or read a prior members (now banned i think) attempt to limp his along on brake fluid - i think he drove it a year like that?  lol

It sounds like you just want to go try the bottle regardless of what we say, so just go give it a whirl?

we are trying to help but you're not answering questions or telling us anything about the engine and symptoms.

external head gasket leaks - can be mitigated.

internal head gasket leaks - can not.

a bottle might  temporarily help - but i'd be very surprised for it to last until next summer. 

maybe a google search will find someone that's tried this on a Subaru - by golly there's been enough EJ25D's blown i'm sure lots of peopel have tried it.

Or read a prior members (now banned i think) attempt to limp his along on brake fluid - i think he drove it a year like that?  lol

My apologies. If you would like to read up on my current issue, the details are in this thread: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/155619-so-theoretically/

Thanks guys. I just was unsure what this stuff was and if adding it to the cooling system would benefit my car at all. 

ihscout, so would you recommend using bars leaks 1111 until I have the equipment and money to change the HGs? I still have not bought the thing that tests the HGs, but I think I will be able to do it sometime this coming week. If I do have a HG leak, would it be advisable to use the bars leak until I can get it fixed sometime next year?

Im sorry my above post was long, but you should read it again. What your asking is already in the post. If your symproms fit then...