Ultimate Subaru Message Board

drive belt questions

I have a 87 subaru gl (1.8 fuel injected) that I bought a few months ago. It came with what I think is the wrong drive belt, so I ordered the OE belts from Subaru based on the VIN. The one that's on there now looks brand new, and it's a close fit, but I can't get it properly tensioned.

To my surprise when I went to the dealership to pick it up there were TWO drive belts, as there was only one on the car when I bought it.

The one drive belt goes (from left to right going clockwise) the power steering, ac compressor (hitachi I think?), alternator, and waterpump, and crankshaft. There's grooves for the second belt on everything but the alternator.

Now I have two questions:

Where I'm scratching my head is from what I researched there should be an idler pulley that tensions the second belt. There's a bracket (similar what the alternator slides on) under and to the right of the ac -- is that where the idler pulley is supposed to atttach? Or is there another tensioning method?

And where the hell will I get a new pulley if that is the problem?

And my other problem is I can't figure out how to install the alternator belt -- it's too small to go around the four pulleys plus the alternator. Both belts are the same size, and I'm perplexed how one will go around the four pulleys I see and other one will go around those same four plus the alternator.

The most helpful thing I've found is the How to Keep Your Subaru Alive book pdf. I attached a picture from it, the layout I have is the middle image (minus the pulley).drive belt.tiff