Ultimate Subaru Message Board

URGENT! 1987 4WD GL Wgn. Disty questions

Its urgent because I need to get the car done for the rallycross on Sunday!

I have the engine reassembled, the intake on... BUT...

I cannot get the stupid orange rotor off the disty shaft. It is NOT like the one on my 88 where there was a setscrew to hold it on.. It just snaps on or something... anyway I cant figure out how to remove the old one, and looking at the new one doesnt help either... it looks like it should just slide on and off. :banghead:

Its the disty type where the cap clips on with 2 clips (kinda like an SPFI or MPFI airbox). Its not the screw on cap... In the Chiltons its the 1981 and up 4WD disty I think...

I will also possibly need a second set of hands to change the clutch, see thread in meet and greet

You wouldnt be saying that if you saw how I slid the engine on the tranny :lol:

It took me quite a while of jiggling it and eventually I just let the hoist down and picked up the front of the engine and slid it back enough so I could get the bolts started.

I was kinda scared of braking the disty, so I was trying to jiggle the rotor off, I didnt feel too comfortable just pulling straight up.

Thanks alot Craig, the engine is now in the car and the only things to finish up as of now are:

1. Fill with fluids

2. Attach fuel line to weber

3. Bolt on exhaust/install gaskets

4. Bolt on engine mounts

5. Plug in alternator

6. Install belts

7. Swap XT seats back in :cool: