Ultimate Subaru Message Board

dash repair options for 84 sedan restore

So i've got an 84 gl sedan 4wd  with a really nice body and runs great. Things that hold it back tho are a cracked dash and ripped seats. What options do I have as far as the dash repair goes? I doubt I'll find a replacement dash from a similar car in good enough condition to be worth the work of swapping it out. But maybe I'm wrong? Will the dash from an ea81 wagon work, as that would increase the cars I could look for...

I was at an upholstery shop yesterday (to look at the seats) and they suggested Velcro carpet on the dash, which doesn't sound attractive to me at all...So are there any other options than find another old one in good condition or velcro carpet?

The car is posted for sale on CL, haven't got pictures up yet of the dash and seats but will add them soon

Its also listed on the for sale section on the board.

http://corvallis.craigslist.org/cto/5252457298.html

I'll sell it as is if someone wants it, but I'd prefer to see seats and dash get fixed up first

thanks,

joe

depends on the spend you have in mind. I doubt that any dashboard restoration company has even considered old Subaru dashboards. I have an old 60's ford that I had the dash top restored - cracks filled,new vinyl covering all heat formed to original and job has lasted well over 20 years!

Something that looked pretty cool same 20 years ago was seats recovered in wetsuit material .

thanks for the responses. I think based on my budget, I'll go with ihscout54's suggestion on this one to keep tolerable for now. I cant see it making things worse. I'll keep my eyes open for a replacement dash in the long run. I think what Jono suggested is ideal, but not really practical for the relative value of the car right now. If I do fill it in myself with quick foam I'll take some before after pics. 

Someone did an amazing dash repair thread on here a few years ago.  It's here somewhere.  I remember he used some plastic welding rod, and I believe he also included a link to a BMW 2002 dash repair thread.  It was impressive, and not expensive.

• Like 1