Ultimate Subaru Message Board

All:

Put a new clutch in my EJ22 Legacy.    The manual is not really good about how to adjust it...or it does not make sense to me.

I also have the hill holder.

I adjusted it out so the pedal takes about 1/4 off the floor.   I left a little slack in the clutch fork...and tightened up the hill holder so it will not slip and ride the throw out bearing. 

I checked up by putting it in second gear with the parking brake on...and it stalled.  (It did not slip)

Sound right?

BTW...I don't like the hill holder.   If you are braking while down shifting it seems to keep the brake on a little.   I may just need to get used to it.

Tom

Your hill holder isn't adjusted right or it's sticking.

Adjust clutch first, then adjust the hill holder.

Loosen the hill holder all the way.

Adjust the clutch cable so you have about 1/4" of free travel at the release lever.

Now adjust the hill holder cable so it just starts to pull the lever on the holder mechanism. The spring on the holder should pull the release arm forward just enough to prevent the release bearing from riding against the pressure plate when the clutch is not being used.

It's better to adjust the holder on the loose side, and make small increments tighter if you find that it isn't holding well enough or not holding at all.

The holder should only keep the car from rolling back, it should not hold the car from rolling forward. If it holds while rolling forward, the cable is adjusted too tight, the holder lever could be jammed, or there may be debris or rust inside the holder preventing proper operation.

• Like 1