Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The battery sounded like it continuously had less charge when starting for aprox 2 days. Then no sound at all when turning the key. Tried charging it but still wouldn't engaged. Replaced battery and still doesn't start. Every rare once in awhile it will turn over just fine. Turn it off and again no sound. All the lights etc work fine. I know the battery is good. My key is turned I can get it in neutral but still no sound. no clicking, nothing. Ideas?

Could be a ground or hot cable. Could also just be the battery clamps. A quick way to rule out battery grounds is jump the neg (-) terminal directly to the engine (like right at the alternator bolt) with something like a jumper cable (leave the terminal connected to the battery) and try cranking it; make the jumper is sound to begin with and has good contact. If it fires right up, inspect the neg cable and post clamp. If it still doesn't start, have someone else crank while you wiggle the starter cable. Also, inspect the connections at the starter. Could be a neutral/park safety switch, etc.

Also, pull the cover off the engine fuse box and check your fused link. It's basically a " U "wire that looks like it's jumping two terminals. Mine failed after the casing cracked and split open, and battery corrosion ate the wire. It went from ZERO symptoms to a no start. Close inspection revealed arcing on the underside of the cover and smoke scorching, so it appears it was broken but there was enough tension to keep the circuit together longer than it should have been. If the cable is hard and brittle, it should be replaced. Can jump it with a heavier gauge wire to move the car, but make sure to replace with another fused link if bad.

Check for a poor connection somewhere. Make sure the cable terminals are shiny clean inside where they touch the battery posts. Check the main ground cable where it attaches to the block, and check the positive where it bolts to the starter.

Also check the small wire on the starter. Make sure there is no corrosion in the connector.