Ultimate Subaru Message Board

All:

So finally got the subaru on the road legally after my clutch swap.    Running good but I am hearing some growling.   It makes more noise when I change lanes which leads me to believe it is the front wheel bearings.

A few questions:

1) Any danger / harm by driving the car around?   I want to shake out some of the other bugs..

2) Anyone have a good how to with pictures?   I am thinking of purchases the complete hub assembly.   I want to avoid pressing bearings if possible.

http://www.1aauto.com/2005-11-subaru-legacy-outback-wheel-bearing-and-hub-assembly/i/1ashf00336?f=518153&y=2005&utm_campaign=gb_csv_br&utm_content=SHF&gclid=Cj0KEQjwy92wBRCl7trx4PaIo8EBEiQASPhtC4DVIZSLnZv3F6WiKRlzHWywONKtGRQAArcfQjWIjlcaAoOd8P8HAQ

Thanks in advance.

Tom

What year is the car?

Bearings on these can be tricky to diagnose. They usually don't show any play until they're totally worn out, but check them for play, and if you find one that's loose, that one is definitely in need of replacement.

The best way to check them is to disassemble everything and pull the axle out of the hub so that it can easily be spun by hand. If the bearing is bad, it will be obvious.

What year is the car?

Bearings on these can be tricky to diagnose. They usually don't show any play until they're totally worn out, but check them for play, and if you find one that's loose, that one is definitely in need of replacement.

The best way to check them is to disassemble everything and pull the axle out of the hub so that it can easily be spun by hand. If the bearing is bad, it will be obvious.

Sorry....1995 Subaru Legacy L Wagon.

Any concerns with driving it for a little while?   Need to save my $$ if I need to do wheel bearings now.

Tom

95 bearings are press in. No way around that.

If there's no play and you can stand the noise, keep on driving. These can go for years on noisy bearings and not get any worse, or only slowly get worse.

On the other hand, I've had one go from practically no noise to total failure in 5 miles, so it's always a gamble. That was an aftermarket bearing though, which had already been replaced, and the installer didn't put the outer bearing seal back in.

Edited by Fairtax4me