Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm new here and new to Subarus.

I have a 1997 Legacy Outback 2.5 automatic AWD, and I think it needs a new transmission. The model number on the bell housing is tz102z2cba-dt.

I've found a japanese import transmission that I'm told will work, model number tz102z1caa-dg apparently from a 1998 Outback.

Does anyone know if this is correct?

I'm looking for a direct replacement, if possible, and I'm having some difficulty finding these model numbers online to really compare them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

From a 98 outback should work fine.

There are dozens of model numbers that are interchangable. US model numbers differ from the JDM model numbers even though the transmissions are the same. The biggest thing to watch out for is that the transmission comes from an Outback so the final drive ratio of the front differential is correct. Limit your search to 96-98 model years and the replacement will hook up just fine.

in the US - 97 and 98 Outback transmissions are interchangeable. even if the donor engine has an 8 bolt belt housing it'll still bolt right up to your 4 bolt 1997 bellhousing.

the only issues are:

1. final drive ratio - all 1990's outbacks are 4.44 so that's good

2. Phase I and Phase II - all 1995-1999 Outbacks are Phase I electronics so plug and play.

Edited by grossgary

Gary...

Couple of clarifications.....the '95 Outback (in name only as it didn't have the '96+ upgrades) was 4.11 FD ratio....since it only came w/ a 2.2 engine. All '96-'99 Autos had 4.44's since they all had the 2.5/EJ25D engine.

The '99 was the phase II / phase 2 trans, so I'd not take a chance on that.....plus it's the one w/the 'delayed shifting' history.

And since the OP is 'new to Subarus' I'll point out that the Legacy Outback and Impreza Outback are distinct models.

TD

Edited by wtdash

model number tz102z1caa-dg apparently from a 1998 Outback.

this info may be correct.

i do not know.

researching JMD final drive ratios is not easy.

researching USDM ratios was not easy either 10 years ago,

but easier today.

i do not think the trans has the final drive ratio that you need, 4.44,

but again i do not know for sure.

you can use any trans, (from the usa) from any 2.5L car 96 - 98 .

(they will all have ID# that start with TZ102Z2..... except maybe the forester, but it will still swap.)

outback 96 - 98

forester 98

GT 96 - 98

LSi 96 - 97/8

in that preferred order.

outbaqck and forester are an exact match.

the GT and LSi will throw off your speedo, a little about 8%.

look here for a trans

www.car-part.com

sort by zip code to save on shipping .

you will have to search each model and year separately.

Thanks for the help!

I'm in a small town in central Ontario, Canada. I'll have to see what's in the yards around here. It's surprising how popular the Foresters and Outbacks are around here... probably because the back roads are pretty rough!

Let you know how it goes...

My 99 outback with a 2.2 from a 98 Impreza probably needs a new trans. It does the delayed shift into drive. When I use trans x, it works for about a month then back to delayed shift. Can the tranny be rebuilt or is it more cost effective to swap in a new one? Also, what trans can I put in? I don't want another one with delayed shifting problems. Thanks

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone!

I am looking for an automatic transmission replacement for my Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 2.2l, year 1998.

The gearbox code is TZ102ZA5AA - GN.

I have heard that I could use any transmission which will match the firs 7 characters, is this right?

Thanks!

Edited by remus13

Maybe, but I've not determined it that way.

All '95-'98 Subarus that had 2.2s will work for your car as they had the same 4.11 Final Drive ratio. Also, you can probably use a '90-'91 (non-turbo) Legacy trans as they were also 4.11.

Any others were either 3.90  FDR or 4.44, depending on year and engine and you have to change your rear diff. No '99 will work due to the changes that year.

• 1 year later...
On 7/24/2017 at 4:25 AM, wtdash said:

Maybe, but I've not determined it that way.

All '95-'98 Subarus that had 2.2s will work for your car as they had the same 4.11 Final Drive ratio. Also, you can probably use a '90-'91 (non-turbo) Legacy trans as they were also 4.11.

Any others were either 3.90  FDR or 4.44, depending on year and engine and you have to change your rear diff. No '99 will work due to the changes that year.

Thanks a lot!

HI...again,

I didn't notice (or you've updated it in the last year) that you're in the UK.....so not something us Yanks know much about.

Google:

Transmission TZ102ZA5AA -   Subaru Impreza 1997, 1998, Subaru Impreza, Outback Sport (Station Wagon) 1997, 1998, I think this for the 2.2.

vs.

TZ102ZR5AA SUBARU IMPREZA 2,0 4X4- 1998

Did the UK get the 2.2 AND the 2.0 - NON-turbo engines?

• 3 months later...
On 10/11/2018 at 2:44 PM, wtdash said:

HI...again,

I didn't notice (or you've updated it in the last year) that you're in the UK.....so not something us Yanks know much about.

Google:

Transmission TZ102ZA5AA -   Subaru Impreza 1997, 1998, Subaru Impreza, Outback Sport (Station Wagon) 1997, 1998, I think this for the 2.2.

vs.

TZ102ZR5AA SUBARU IMPREZA 2,0 4X4- 1998

Did the UK get the 2.2 AND the 2.0 - NON-turbo engines?

Hi everyone!

I do apologize for my very late response.

I've checked the final driving ratio for the  TZ102ZR5AA and it is 4.11, as same as the TZ102ZA5AA.

The only difference is the 7th character.

What do you think, should I go for it?

Thanks a bunch!

Edited by remus13