Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I've been driving my 96 Legacy LS wagon for over three years with torque bind but now it seems to be gone? I'd left the FWD fuse in it's receptacle all this time and now very unexpectedly the FWD light has come on and there is no more torque bind. I would like to thank whoever or whatever helped me with that? I am totally beside myself.

Edited by darsdoug

So you put the fuse in years ago, but the FWD light has only now turned on?

Yep. I never could get it to go into front wheel drive using the fuse trick. I tried more than once with a couple different fuses but  never had any luck. I left the fuse in back in 2013, but just recently it decided to start working. No shudder in tight turns anymore. I never did get around to replacing the duty-C. The only work I've done on the car ever since is changing the oil, air filter and antifreeze.

When you install the FWD fuse the FWD light should come on and you should be in Front Wheel Drive. this should stop torque bind, but it doesn't mean the problem is fixed.

When you install the FWD fuse the FWD light should come on and you should be in Front Wheel Drive. this should stop torque bind, but it doesn't mean the problem is fixed.

Trust me. I've been aware of that.

Yep. I never could get it to go into front wheel drive using the fuse trick. I tried more than once with a couple different fuses but never had any luck. I left the fuse in back in 2013, but just recently it decided to start working. No shudder in tight turns anymore. I never did get around to replacing the duty-C. The only work I've done on the car ever since is changing the oil, air filter and antifreeze.

Wire issue of some sort. Poor ground, loose terminal in the TCU connector maybe. Or the circuit in the TCU is wonky.

IIRC The fuse just grounds a control/logic circuit for the TCU. The TCU then turns on the FWD lamp circuit, and disables the Duty C driver circuit. If the fuse circuit isn't completed for some reason (such as those above) the duty C won't be disabled, and the lamp won't come on.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Try a different fuse. It might actually be corroded at the link. If a fuse is in there and NO FWD light, it's not working or you have a short somewhere. You could even connect a fused toggle switch and confirm FWD vs. AWD operation from in the car. Mine handles differently (oversteers) and has excess front end lift when forced FWD is activated and understeers and stays more level with AWD. Very noticeable difference. Plus the engine makes enough torque to spin the fronts with forced FWD. Find gravel if yours won't.

Fuse grounds the TCU circuit. Key On, Check at the fuse connector for 12v or maybe 5v on the black/Red wire. If no voltage there's a poor connection at the TCU or break in the wire between the TCU and Fuse connector. That wire sruns straight from TCU to the fuse, so not many places where damage or poor connection can occur.

Insert the fuse and check that the voltage drops to 0 or very near 0. If voltage stays high the ground for the fuse is dirty/corroded or ground wire is damaged.

Edited by Fairtax4me
  • Like 1