Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wish me luck!!! Offroading an OBS

rugbyben

This weekend is the first time I will have to take my '00 OBS off road. Wish me luck.

We are going camping for the holiday (Memorial Day, US.) and the site is about 2 miles off the main road, down a pretty gnarly trail, to the river. (Susquehanna, PA) I am going with my old jeep buddies, who are a little less then supportive of me trading my wrangler in on a waggon. Last year in my wrangler I had no problem. But this will be my first test of a Subaru off road, I know I cant show up a lifted wrangler, but if i dont make it, need a pull out or do any damage i will have my balls in a sling all weekend.

If anyone is interested I will report back on tuesday and let you know how I did. Hopefuly it wont be for repair advice.

The only thing those jeeps have over you is ground clearence. Good luck!

Well yeah, that and travel. . . .and low gears .. . . and more power . . and bigger tires . . . and probably lockers. but that's all. :brow:

Just take it slow. Keep your Ypipe and oil pan from hitting stuff. If you have to skid along something, use your floor pans. I've 4X'd my impreza a little. It will do fine.

YAH THEY DO!!!! no lockers though. they are still street machines.

As a former Jeep owner (and will be one again) they have a LOT going for them.

honestly, they are FAR superior to subes from an off roading standpoint. Which is not ment to insult subaru owners, but that is what jeeps are made to do. As far as a well rounded vehicle subarus are definetly at the top of the list. above jeeps for their abilities on a wider range or terrain, just not the big stuff. I have driven a lifted jeep on the highway, it aint fun! with a 4-1 ratio just going 65 in 5th gear you feel like the motor is going to explode.

But that is why i chose subaru, I cant go back to a 2wd car ever!!

As a former Jeep owner (and will be one again) they have a LOT going for them.

honestly, they are FAR superior to subes from an off roading standpoint.

My little hatch will easily out wheel a stock Jeep except for the Rubicon, and it will follow that too. I've measured, my hatch has a couple more inches of clearance. I also have a rear locker and superswampers. :)

Hey RugbyBen.....

When You get done trashing your Bumpers, and Want some Lift in the OBS, Let me Know.....I build them....:)

Look At what I do for your Cars Front Bumper here.....

this is my main gallery

//usmb.net/gallery/albuo13

Here is Your Cars New Bumper on A Baja.....

//usmb.net/gallery/album115

I am building similar Bumpers For the rear as well......Both Give a much better Aproach/Departure Angle......:)

Let me know if these interest you,

John in Oregon.....

When I go offroadin' I leave my 98 O/B at home and take my '00 TJ. With a set of Good-Year MT/Rs it'll climb like a goat...190HP..super low gearing, shortest turning circle anywhere...etc.

If I do happen to hit a rock I know it won't kill it or cost me big $$$ to fix.

One look at the bumper heights and lack of overhang makes it obvious who the offroad champ is.

When you get your Subie jacked-up on a rock just pray that there's a Jeep around to get you out.

f8a99060.jpg

I agree with everyone. Yes of you dump a couple thou into your suby you can play around next to a stock jeep. But dump that same thou into a Jeep and no subaru on earth can touch it. so you are all right.

I am keeping this sube pretty much street. And im getting another TJ to trick for off roading.

As for this past weekend. my subaru passed with flying colors. Because of the rain this past week the trail was muddy but the washes sort of smoothed it out so I didnt get hung up on anything, and as we all know the sube AWD laughs at slippy mud. SO i made it down with no problems. Although i had to leave it at camp when we went to play in the bog that had developed in a field by the river. I dont think I could take a 2-4 ft deep mud hole. or at least didnt want to try.

Thanks for the support!!! and good luck to both sides with the ongoing jeep/suraru battle.

woo hoo..

Sounds like you had fun.

What I love about the OBS is it handles GREAT on road and it handles good off-road. On fire roads, sand, small bumpy stuff, (basically rally stuff) it can out drive a jeep anyday. It's the big ruts that you have to watch out for. That's where finese takes over. Jeeps and lifted Soob can just plod on through. In a stock OBS, you need to be more sensitive.

:)

I agree with everyone. Yes of you dump a couple thou into your suby you can play around next to a stock jeep. But dump that same thou into a Jeep and no subaru on earth can touch it. so you are all right.

A properly built soob shouldn't cost more than 2500 bucks pal. How much for a new TJ? (btw, the guys at the Rubicon were laughing at "TJs".)

I am the proud owner of both an OB & a 73 CJ5. The best of both worlds. I got the OB and went off road with it, but nothing like the stuff I take the jeep trough. Ya subarus can go off road & do well, but I personally would like to have a jeep. The one thing I don't like a/b the jeep is how horribly it handles - they aren't as fun/safe as driving the OB. Nor does it have the room.

Good Luck & Have fun!

i totally agree with you ON3 i know subs are great cars but they are not the number one vehicle in ever situation.

And to build up an off roading subaru that can even come close to touching a jeep will cost you FAR MORE then 2500. jeep parts are much more available, and cheaper.

ALSO dont believe everything you hear. the TJ is not "junk", it had a few problems when it first came out like every new model, and only if you leave it stock, the transfer case from 97 - 2001 was weak and the seals went often. but the motor has remained the same for many years, and the new quadracoil suspension is a HUGE advance above the old leaf springs for both travel and articulation and also safety. CJs flip way easier.

there is NO WAY any subaru can rock crawl like a jeep.

And to build up an off roading subaru that can even come close to touching a jeep will cost you FAR MORE then 2500. jeep parts are much more available, and cheaper.

you obviously haven't been paying attention around here, speaking for the many owners of lifted soobs I can tell you most of us havent come close to the 2500.00 mark. Since you dont own one you prob have no idea what it costs, so please refrain from wild speculation. if you would like to know more I suggest you visit the "older generation of subarus" forum

btw I usually refrain from involving myself in the subaru /jeep wars as I think they are both very capable vehicles in the hands of the right driver. However sometimes when people start throwing "facts" out there with nothing to back them up, I can only take so much.

oh yeah and you should see what I have done in my impreza.

Hey I got an idea; lets compare some more modified vehicles to stock vehicles! =P

Apples, Oranges, you know the rest...

My wife would kill me if I spent 2500 on my subaru. I spent $85 on a 4WD D/R tranny, $30 for the whole rear subframe assembly/drivetrain, $300 for the BYB 3" lift, $200 on tires, and $150 for pug rims.

Budget offroad :D

Nicky..

Older soobs are really cheap to lift and mod.

New gen soobs are really expensive to lift and mod. Only two lift are avaliable for the OBS. One is by Scorpion and the other is made by Mudrat. Both run in the 700-1000 range depending on what you do with them.

Then you have bigger tires and armor. You could easily hit 2500.00 for a well lifted OBS. That's including safari rack and other things. If you don't mind bumper skin trimming, some of the parts made for a Cherokee bumper will work. The only weak part is that the bumper beam is really pathetic.

I personally would stick to wheeling on fireroads and maybe the beach, mud and more hard-core stuff I would use my BRAT :)

BW

Its all good. I love my sube, and I love my jeep for different things. as they are good at different things. And the fact is you will never convince a jeep person that a sube is better and he will never convince a subaru person that a jeep is better.

Honestly my OBS did better then I expected off road, it is a tough little car.

I dont expect i will be tricking it out except for street stuff since its my daily driver, but maybe i will consider a brat or something of that sort for my next rig.

as an owner of both vehicles I know the costs associated with each, I breifly looked into lifting my OBW when I first got it, but decided the cost wasnt worth it. I agree with you fully: the impreza is not designed for that sort of thing, fire lanes, snow, yes. I was always one to push the limits of what it was capable of, but when it really boils down to it, it is a street car with very light off road capabilites. However rugbyben was referring to subarus in general, therefore I was pointing out that older ones are perfectly capable of keeping up with the jeeps. not for 2500.00 bucks either. Not to mention they only cost around $400 to begin with, not including the Brat of course.

Nicky..

Older soobs are really cheap to lift and mod.

New gen soobs are really expensive to lift and mod. Only two lift are avaliable for the OBS. One is by Scorpion and the other is made by Mudrat. Both run in the 700-1000 range depending on what you do with them.

Then you have bigger tires and armor. You could easily hit 2500.00 for a well lifted OBS. That's including safari rack and other things. If you don't mind bumper skin trimming' date=' some of the parts made for a Cherokee bumper will work. The only weak part is that the bumper beam is really pathetic.

I personally would stick to wheeling on fireroads and maybe the beach, mud and more hard-core stuff I would use my BRAT :)

BW[/quote']

Its all good. I love my sube, and I love my jeep for different things. as they are good at different things. And the fact is you will never convince a jeep person that a sube is better and he will never convince a subaru person that a jeep is better.

Honestly my OBS did better then I expected off road, it is a tough little car.

I dont expect i will be tricking it out except for street stuff since its my daily driver, but maybe i will consider a brat or something of that sort for my next rig.

i think we are on the same page now.

And the fact is you will never convince a jeep person that a sube is better and he will never convince a subaru person that a jeep is better.

ain't that the truth ;)

I have the good pleasure :rolleyes: of coming from a Jeep family. My older brother has a 83 CJ built up and a 2003 Rubicon. My little sister just got a Rubi, my Pop drives a 89 Wrangler, my mom drove a 91 Cherokee until the tranny grenaded itself. My younger brother is working on a 91 Wrangler w/my bro and pop. I use to have a 84 CJ.

BUT.... I love my OBS and my BRAT. Wouldn't trade them in for anything that Jeep makes. Too bad they are all in the East Coast and I am in the West Coast of else I would show them true Subaru power. The only thing I miss w/a Jeep is the open air when driving top down. I guess that's why they invented Saw-alls and beater cars. For now my BRAT has an aftermarket top so that will have to do. HEY... what if I put BRAT fun-tops on my OBS??? (hmmm...... getting out the measuring tape.):brow:

Nicky, I am very interested in making a rig out of an older Sube. especally if it can be done for so cheap. I would be interested in learning more.

Can you really find one worth tricking for $400?

I understand suspension mods obviously, but when I do jeeps i also heavily mod the engine and trans, axils, and pumpkins. how much of that is needed?