Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wish me luck!!! Offroading an OBS

rugbyben

Find a Soob that has a dual range 4X4 tranny.

There are lift kits available from various board members. That will give you a suspension lift. Then you get larger rims and bigger tires. In terms of differentials, you are limited to stock open diff, finding a rare LSD diff or welding it. Welding has problems all in itself, but I have heard really make the vehicle very capable.

There are various other ideas in terms of having a seperate transfer case, (divorced T-CASE) there is even a solid axle BRAT w/a 10 inch lift.

Surf around the Older Gen forum for more tips and ideas.

Good luck.

Find a Soob that has a dual range 4X4 tranny.

There are lift kits available from various board members. That will give you a suspension lift. Then you get larger rims and bigger tires. In terms of differentials' date=' you are limited to stock open diff, finding a rare LSD diff or welding it. Welding has problems all in itself, but I have heard really make the vehicle very capable.

There are various other ideas in terms of having a seperate transfer case, (divorced T-CASE) there is even a solid axle BRAT w/a 10 inch lift.

Surf around the Older Gen forum for more tips and ideas.

Good luck.[/quote']pretty much what s'ko said, find any Ea-81 or EA-82 hatch, wagon or brat (preferably EA81) make sure it has a dual range manual trans.

then you need:

lift

big tires/wheels

welded diff is optional (mine is welded but I have seen them snap axles like matchsticks, general disorder has broken five so far)

then you can go from there

options

weber carb, t-case, custom fabbed bumpers, 5-spd tranny, etc.

Not much is really needed as far as the engine/trans goes, axles you can go crazy with or just keep a few spares on hand (PAP's around here have em for 25.00)

but with that basic stuff you will be VERY susprised about what it can do...

oh and as far as the 400.00 thing in the NW I see them go for that all the time, not sure about the east coast, but I am sure you could find one for cheap if you looked hard enough. the older gen forum has TONS of info about this stuff, good luck!