Ultimate Subaru Message Board

our Cars Unique Quirks

Having older cars as daily drivers means that some things don't always get fixed right away if they can be deferred. Let me give an example.

My little red sedan Ash has oddly operating heater controls. I need to press the heat button to get air to blow on the windshield. Also since the ac compressor is also used as a dehumidifier, it will engage when the heater is on and it is humid. The belt makes a high pitch screeching sound that can be heard for blocks. It startles pedestrians sometimes.

What quirks does your car have?

Edited by MR_Loyale
  • Like 1

... The belt makes a high pitch screeching sound that can be heard for blocks. It startles pedestrians sometimes ...

I solved that, by switchin' from the Normal "A" type bands, to the Narrower "F" type Bands, that actually Seats on the Pulleys, no more screeching sound.

So, for the "Inboard" A/C Config, I Use This:

7375Belt-SameF37.jpg?t=1189778606

Which its Number is: 11A0995, you could find it in Another Brand with That Number.

is Less Wider and Half inch less Longer (Due to the Bottom of the Pulley Going), but Fits & Performs Better.

And for the Alt`s Belt, I Use This:

7440Belt-sameF43a.jpg?t=1189778610

Which Standard Number is: 11A1120.

I Suggest GoodYear`s "GatorBack" Belts.

Good Luck! :burnout:

• Like 1

...Oh!, I forgot that compared to every other car on the Road nowadays, the EA82 Engine with the Weber Carb on really Deep Accelerations, Makes an induction Boxer noise that sounds like it will Blow a Piston thru the Exhaust pipe in no time!

But that is "Natural" for these weberized Boxer engines, somehow ... ;) ... I am so accustomed to such behaviour, that I really miss it when I Drive any other car.

Kind Regards.

Hunting for reverse due to lever play (I know there's a quick fix for it, just never bothered).

Passenger side defogger doesn't work (probably the pipe has fallen down out of the vent).

Battery terminal occasionally comes loose and has to be twisted to start the car.

If I drove it everyday these are all little things that would get fixed, but as I only drive on weekends the little niggles get left until they get too big to ignore (like the rust in the bottom of the A-pillar, that I had fixed last year).

My front axles on my hatch back thud/vibrate so hard when i go 55mph my whole dash vibrates and the thudding is almost louder than my radio. I really need to get them warrantied and if the new ones don't work my buddy at Oriley's will make sure the store finds me a good set even from another supplier.

Edited by turbosubarubrat

My 89 GL's A/C kicks on for 1-2 seconds when i push the bilev or vent button, then turns off on its own even though those options have nothing to do with air conditioning..

oh you pushed a button meaning you want A/C, 80's computing currently processing, oh crap we screwed up turn the compressor off!

Edited by Subasaurus
  • Like 1

My air boxes on my 85 wagon are very weird - I get the most heat from the dash front in off position. Bilev and heat seem backwards, too. If I go up a hill in any setting, the air starts coming out the dash front vents! I'm guessing some tubes are crossed, maybe some seals missing...