Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Did it go out after cycling the key off-on?

Any other warning lights on?

There should be a way to get airbag codes on that year, but I don't know for sure. The usual way consists of grounding a pin in a test connector under the dash, turn the key on and the light blinks the codes. Try googling, I'm sure the info is out there somewhere.

Check the fuses. I remember my mom bought a 91' Geo Storm GSi new and at 35k miles the air bag light appeared. Checked the fuse and it some how had corroded the actual link. Replaced the fuse and it went out. 

Has there been anything heavy leaning on the doors, pillars, etc.? Did you accidentally disconnect a seat harness then try starting the car? Do you have kids? Do you let them or anyone else drive it?? Have you checked the bumpers for scrapes/gouges? It might have been hit in a parking lot or something.

Given all the issues with airbags from "overseas" companies the past year or so, something might actually be faulty. Newer cars unfortunately often need a factory reset when that light comes on, and virtually NO local mechanics will touch an air bag issue due to liability, which means even if a fuse did go out and you replace it, or the issue somehow corrected itself, you will probably still have the light on. Take it to a dealership to be safe. 

06 forester automatic

Red air bag light came on (just above gas gauge)

Anyone have experience with this??thanks

Yes - lots of times.

In an otherwise pristine vehicle it's usually the clock spring but guessing isn't a good idea.

1. Read the codes

2.  Replace the part that's bad.

Don't let airbags scare you, in Subaru world they're actually really easy.

As long as it's not caused by a rodent chewing through wiring...i fixed one like that earlier this year.  Wiring under passengers footwell was chewed up.

• Like 1

clock spring??  is that a joke?

funny thing is that this morning the light did not come on.

It is a bit sporadic

off topic a little.......my drivers seat belt....right side where it plugs into.....the rubber boot there that keeps the darn thing standing upright .....this boot

slides down and the seat belt coupler dangles and is a pain to plug in

There is a hole on one side of it.....I assume some kind of "plug" snaps in to keep that boot in place

I bet no one has had that problem......

I gotta figure out what goes in there

The technical term is Roll connector, but yes, clockspring is the typically used term to describe the ribbon cable that connects the airbag cruise control and horn wiring through the steering column.

Its a ribbon cable wound around about 6-10 times inside a housing, so it looks similar to a clockspring inside.

If you're having trouble with the drivers seatbelt connector, that could be the source of your problem. Pulling the airbag codes will tell you for sure.

Edited by Fairtax4me

Stupid auto link maker kept cutting out part of the URL.

Should work now.

There's a switch in the seatbelt latch that on some cars tells the airbag module when the seatbelt is latched. If the wire for the switch is damaged because of the damaged cover, the airbag module may set a code.