Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Aftermarket headers on a baja turbo

szybura

I'm rebuilding the EJ255 engine in my newly acquired 05 Baja turbo and need header heat shields. After pricing them I started thinking about aftermarket headers. I see the Impreza header aftermarket business is booming but nothing for anything else. The OEM parts for the Baja and Impreza turbo headers are the same. Anyone try a set for the Impreza on a different sub?  

Better bang for the buck vs. headers.  The stock cast iron parts are really good for keeping heat inside the gas column, even better when they have all their heatshields.

What are your power goals what do you plan to do with the car?

If you already have a downpipe that means you are at "Stage 2," which means you NEED an engine software retune, or risk damage to your enigne.

You'd probably find more help/resources on the ScoobyTrucks or NASIOC forums, most of the action on this board surrounds the older models.

Edited by carfreak85

The Baja came with the down pipe, back already installed. Looking at a little performance and fuel saving. I will be wrapping the headers before I install them. Never thought about retuning. I am mostly old school understand a supercharger over a turbo charger. I was looking at the cost considering I can get the headers and wrap for less then the shields. Would like to find a used set of shields but not having a lot of luck. Seems the left side is fairly easy to find but the right side not so much and I figure my rt side shields are missing due to the mounting bolts being broken off in the holes.  

You NEED to be looking for parts on NASIOC, people sell their OEM take-off parts all the time.

Also, wrapping the headers can be hit or miss on our cars.  Because the headers are so close to the ground, there is the possibility that they become soaked with water and start to corrode the header, even if it's SS.  Additionally, since the headers are on the bottom of the engine, if you ever have an oil leak, there is a very good chance it will absorb some oil into the wrap, causing a fire hazard.

You will get more HP from a good, conservative tune than you will from headers.  With a turbo, you're looking for as large a pressure differential across the turbine wheel as possible.  You already have that with a turbo-back exhaust (TBE).

At this level of modification a tune is NOT OPTIONAL, you NEED a tune on any Subaru with a TBE.

At this level of modification a tune is NOT OPTIONAL, you NEED a tune on any Subaru with a TBE.

Seconded

Get a catless up-pipe and then tune. Right now you're pushing more air into the system without adjusting the fuel to compensate. You'd think with the MAF, MAP, and Oxygen sensors, it would be able to compensate, and it does a bit, but not enough.

There are a few other supporting mods that you can do to improve turbo response and fueling (I'm specifically thinking of an upgraded boost control solenoid, and parallel fuel rails).

Took your advice and have joined NASICO. Found a guy who converted to headers that may sell me what I need. Considering the only upgrade is the exhaust system and the tune concerns it brings I am tempted to just go back to stock and be happy. Been driving Subarus' for 30 years never upgraded from stock figured what the heck try something new and old school thinking it has to help. Thanks for the info will do more research. Understand the concerns of the wrap on the headers, would look really good, why are so many on the Impreza site changing to them? Not daily drivers? Will say my cars do not leak oil, no brag just fact. Even my old british ones if it starts leaking I'm pulling it. thanks again   

Honsetly, Stage 2 is how these cars should have come from the factory.  After the tune you can expect a solid 40+ hp over stock, more if you're set up for E85.

As for the tune, you can download a tune from several vendors and, by using the appropriate regional sub-forum on NASIOC, you can probably find someone near you who can load the new file for free.

Just do your due diligence when it comes to modifications to these cars.  Do plenty of research, read the FAQs and be conservative.