Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what the heck?? why? no spark

arrrgh.

i cant believe this. if anyone has read my no spark thread then you know where i am at. i was almost done switching to carb and new disty, got to the point to fire it up. car fired once, it had good spark, i checked it 5 or 6 times by cranking it over for 5-10 seconds. had consistent good spark.

well, after it fired once, it would fire no more. checked spark again, now it has no spark again!

this is the weird thing and is maybe a hint to someone smarter than me: when you crank it over there is no spark, but then when you turn the key off, one big spark will jump every time.

no spark when you crank, then one big spark at the instant you turn off the ignition.

this is with a 87gl ea82 carb with the carb type disty.

does anyone have any clues?

i am going to call myself a dum***. to answer my own question, i forgot to hook up the big ground wire that is in top of the intake manifold.

now i have spark again!!! amazing what having a ground will do. talk about basic electrical 101.

poured a little gas down the carb, the beloved old- oldfashioned carb, and got the sucker to hit on a few cylinders!!

i just need to finish some wiring on the fuel pump and hook up some fuel lines, then see if i can get this sucker runnin again.

it really stinks not having a lifted soob to drive once you are used to it. driving a regular sized one, although good, just aint the same.

fianally got the sucker runnin!

she fired up and after spewing a little smoke from the manifold teardown she settled down and ran pretty nice.

the engine bay is down to simple simon- vac line to heater control and disty advance and everything stripped off the manifold.

the idle quality is not quite as good as it was with the spfi, as the rpms flucuate slightly in about a 200 rpm range, but considering i did not rebuild the carb that had been sitting for 2 years i think its ok.

the throttle response is good and the engine seems a little peppier. i am curious to check the mileage next week when i start driving back and forth to work. it was getting about 25 with the spfi, (3 inch lift and 27" tires)

the computer is still in the car and hooked up but it does not seem to relize its not needed anymore. i guess i will just leave it there.

THANK YOU to everyone who responded to my no spark threads- calebz, xsnrg,and anyone else who took the time to try and help. i really do appreciate it.