Ultimate Subaru Message Board

head gasket

Hi I was hoping to get advice on selling my Subaru which recently blew a head gasket. It's a 97 Subaru Legacy outback. In recent months I have put in a new radiator, new thermostat, flushed the cooling system and replaced all hoses. Other than the head gasket the car is in very good shape cosmetically as far as interior and exterior are concerned. I was wondering what the value might be and possibly if anyone has suggestions as to how to go about selling it as is other than posting it on Craig's list. Any suggestions would be appreciate. Thank you!

You can sell on craigslist, put an ad in the paper, post it on facebook, etc. As for value? I dunno what the mileage is or if it's a manual or automatic. Regardless, wouldn't expect any more than $1000. It's an 18 year old car that isn't rare or special with engine troubles...

Really comes down to what you wanna do with it. If you can do the work yourself, you can drop a 2.2 into the car for under $500 and drive it for another 100k miles.

Edited by 987687

Thx for the reply. It has 214k miles, it's an automatic. Thx for the advice, I really wasn't expecting to get a whole lot out of it but I was checking with some of the ecocar and cash for clunker type place and they were quoting me around $250 without actually seeing the car. Just seemed pretty low to me seeing as how it has a new radiator and thermostat and no cosmetic damage. Thx again I appreciate your input!

Scrap price isn't very high, $250 sounds about. Scrap yards buy cars assuming they're just gonna crush and sell as scrap. They make profit off putting it in the pick and pull lot where people can buy parts off it. They couldn't care less what you're recently replaced, they pay you based on weight of the car.

With that many miles you might get a private sale in the $500 range if you bide your time on craigslist.

In my neck of the woods, (northwest CT) I sold one of my cars a 1997 subaru outback with basically 300k on it. Grant it it didn't have a head gasket, but I got 1700$ for it, and that was from many offers. So, at least in my area, I don't know about the 500$ price.