Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT6 rear hubs EOI in 5x100 & 5x114.3 ?

Crazyeights - I'd be happy to have them shipped to me and we can either meet up or I can flat rate the hubs to you.  Let me know what works for you.

Dfoyl - I know you addressed it earlier in this thread, but do you plan on doing any additional runs of these hubs?

@Dfoyl

Thank you for all of your hard work and time.

@Carfreak85

That would be Awesome :) Thank you for offering!

Edited by Crazyeights
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, I've had a few queries on the status of these and sort-of posted in Brownie586's thread.

Short update is the hubs were made (by mistake) with XT6 stud holes and I only found this out when the EJ studs arrived. So I had to order XT6 studs (drilling or reaming out the holes to the correct size here would be prohibitive, as the drill would be a custom-made unit (ironically I work for a (large) company that makes machines that make drill bits, but they don't sell internally so a custom-made bit would be a few hundred dollars for a one-off use from one of our customers), which are not held in stock in 100-off volumes.

After some mucking around with Rockauto's customer service team, they eventually got in 100 pieces and they will be shipping across the Pacific shortly. There will be a slight price increase as the XT6 studs are more expensive AND more expensive for shipping (about $5 a pair). 

Spot on. The correct drilled size for a Legacy stud is 14.43 - 0.005" (according to Dorman and similar), which is a bit smaller than 9/16" drill size and larger than 14mm, hence custom size.

The Legacy stud thickness is the same as the XT6, it's only the knurled area that steps up.

The drilled size should be 14.13 (minimum) to 14.31mm (maximum), based on manufacturer's specifications for the design. Using a 14.0mm drill will mean the stud will be distorted when pressed into the hub (or the hub will be distressed and could distort). Using a size greater than 14.31 will mean the stud is not secured and will turn.

That said, I'm happy for anyone to buy them without studs (saves me doing it, which takes me about 20 minutes a hub and I am not charging for my time) and do it themselves but if they damage the hub while pressing in oversize studs then it's their problem...

The drilled size should be 14.13 (minimum) to 14.31mm (maximum), based on manufacturer's specifications for the design. Using a 14.0mm drill will mean the stud will be distorted when pressed into the hub (or the hub will be distressed and could distort). Using a size greater than 14.31 will mean the stud is not secured and will turn.

That said, I'm happy for anyone to buy them without studs (saves me doing it, which takes me about 20 minutes a hub and I am not charging for my time) and do it themselves but if they damage the hub while pressing in oversize studs then it's their problem...

Fair enough. Sounds like you've put way more research into this than I did....I know I just guessed on a drill size a bit smaller than the knurl of whatever studs I used (I don't remember either dimension). It helps that that is not a street-driven vehicle....

Carry-on.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

As a final(?) update on this thread, I'd like to thank those members who have purchased a set and if there is anyone I missed please contact me as I still have 3 sets (all with studs) left (pending responses from those below).

Confirmed with sets:

US : Crazyeights (Jeff) & carfreak85 (Galen) - delivered to Jeff last week

AUS : Callummcfetto (Callum) & ANIM_Hooneru (Owen)  - shipped last week

AUS : turbo-brumby (Gareth) - delivered this morning.

AUS : grumpybrumby (Simon) and ausmattw (Matt) - awaiting payment

Pending:

AUS : Bantum / Elfreddo (Bennie) / LShep351 - all waiting on reply

Once I get confirmation I'll put up a FS post for the next batch in the FS section here.

• Like 2

Received my hubs today, hoping to have them fitted up Wednesday arvo. I will post photos and I am super stoked.

If you make a 2nd run I will grab another pair as I am contemplating getting GC8 running gear under my old Leone.

Thanks heaps Dean!!

Edited by ANIM_Hooneru

Just wanted to post here about these hubs.  I was extremely impressed with the packaging, to start with.  I didn't expect the hubs to be nested in a custom cut foam insert, or soaked with oil in plastic bags.

I'm very impressed not only with the packaging, but the quality seems top notch too, if not OEM-quality.  The machining looks nice and tight, sharp tools were used to make the cuts and all the studs look to be pressed in square.

Dfoyl, thank you so much for taking on this project!

• Like 3

Hey, i'm super new.

I'm really keen to get a set of newly studded ones for my Brumby, potentially a second set for my Leone. Hopefully there's enough interest for you to run a second batch.

Thanks so much to everyone involved for the hard work thats gone into these, I can't express how happy I am to have found this thread  :)

cheers,

Michael.

• Like 1