Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What would be the ultimate off road Subaru?

pontoontodd

i like the EA81's i've seen folks build on here. the guys that know what they're talking about (not me) will comment but based on their builds I'd ask about an EJ22 swapped, lifted, welded rear axle EA81 hatch back.

ambiguous - depends on definition of "ultimate off road".

road legal?

dedicated off road - not road legal?

rock crawling, trail running, or mud bogging in the deep south, snow, or coastal sand?

all stock subaru components?

lift kits allowed?

original engines only or anything goes?

custom tcase and solid rear end swaps?

for $2,000?

$5,000?

$10,000?

unlimited budget?

• Like 1

Wouldn't say my 86 hatch is the ultimate off roader, but it has

-ob1 ej22 swap

-6" lift

-6 lug conversions

-1 1/2" rear wheel spacers

-ea82 front end.(struts, springs, top hats, knuckles, hubs, axles, brakes, cross member, power steering rack, control arms)

-5 d/r

-3.9 lsd rear diff with breather into the cab

-rear disks

-lengthened 1 piece drive line

-mustache bar is 2 stock ones welded together

-custom rear bumper with cut down semi mud flaps

-factory front brush guard which will have a 5k winch

-custom roof basket with kc's

-high rise center console with modified power window insert for 5 toggle switches

-sound deadening chiseled out on the inside and bed liner in it's place plus some

Edited by turbosubarubrat

If you put jeep axles under your toyota, would it make it less of a toyota?   No.  Or Unimog stuff under your Jeep.  Still a Jeep.  

Quit.

Just say.  "I'm jealous, and my best attempt at the ultimate Subaru off roader wasn't even close."  That would be the right reply.  ;)

• Like 2

My definition is when 50% + of the drivetrain by weight is not the original manufacture. A jeep with a 350 chevy v8, atlas transfer case, 4 linked prorock dana 60s,etc is not a jeep anymore.Still cool,but at that point I don't really think it can be considered a jeep anymore.At that point rather than a "jeep", making it to the top of the obstacle it would be a "creation" of the owners imagination.

But on the flip side, use a mopar engine/transmission/transfer case in the jeep and it is still a jeep.

Dana axles on a toyota would be a downgrade,unless your talking 60's. 

Even a divorced Tcase subaru is still a subaru because if its running the subaru engine/transmission(from any year),and rear diff(X2).With only the addition of a transfercase changing power delivery.

My hatch was still mostly subaru,using mostly subaru parts in a combination that subaru never intended.

like I said though.That brat is just barely in the category of what could still be a subaru, because it has a subaru engine,and transmission(I think), but then has toyota axles.Its on that razers edge and could easily swing both ways.

Edited by Uberoo
  • Like 1

My definition is when 50% + of the drivetrain by weight is not the original manufacture. A jeep with a 350 chevy v8, atlas transfer case, 4 linked prorock dana 60s,etc is not a jeep anymore.Still cool,but at that point I don't really think it can be considered a jeep anymore.At that point rather than a "jeep", making it to the top of the obstacle it would be a "creation" of the owners imagination.

I could go along with this, definitely still a gray area, but if the body and more than half the drivetrain are Subaru I'd consider it a Subaru.

How about more details?  Obviously a low range transfer case, but how about a six cylinder or supercharger?  WRX calipers?  Exo cage?  Winch(es)?  Locker(s)?  HID/LED lights?

• 2 weeks later...

My rig plus:

1. ej single range 5 speed with welded up 4wd, D/R's aren't gonna get any easier to find

2, Engine and trans at stock height, but moved back to the firewall so the front clip can be bobbed 10-12"

3. dovetailed front clip

4. atlas 2 or dana 300 tc - minimum 4:1 low range

5. 4 link rear suspension / 3 link front

6. Ford 8.8 rear axle 4.88 minimum ratio 5 lug w/ arb or ox locker

7. Dana 44 front axle 4.88 min also w/ aussie locker

8. Full subframe front to back

9. Full exo with intergral tube fenders front to back

10. 12k winch mounted to custom front tube bumper with hood-height stinger

11. cs144 alternator upgrade (140amp minimum)

12. OBA

13. Heat exchanger for hot water (washing hands after repairs, showers etc)

14. Custom heater to save space (stock ones are huge)

15. Custom passenger doors w/ plexi windows (stock ones are too heavy)

16. Hood mount radiator w/ two fans exhausting out the top of the hood

17. Custom rear stow and go suspension seats

18. Custom gauges, dash and center console

19. Hood snorkel extended up exo to the roof

20. Aftermarket headlight buckets, turn signals and a set of LED floods

21. Maxxis Bighorns, minimum 35/12.50/15's

That would be a good start for me.

If this still isn't a Subaru, take it up with the State of Washington because to them it is still a 87 gl wagon, anything else is opinions or semantics. If I get a letter from Washington DOL telling me that my rig is no longer a Subaru, I will no longer call it a Subaru.

Josh

• Like 2

• 1 year later...