Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New guy in MA

Hi!

Bought my first Subaru back in September, a 2005 Forester with 188k miles on it, the original timing belt and by the looks of it, it was lucky to get oil changes. I've got the timing belt kit and planning on doing the HG's, most likely in the spring when it warms up. Glad to be here and looking forward to reading all of the great intel I'm sure is posted here. 

Welcome Toasterman.

The ol' timing belt and head gasket repair in the spring huh? I likely have the same scenario with an '03 Subaru. It seems like, Cometic .080 or .100 gaskets were

tempting to use, in that, if there were any warping, a thicker head gasket might compensate, and with the added benefit of reduced compression ratio, both in terms of

less chance of pinging on regular fuel, and also in less pressure on the new head gasket. Yes, lose some horses I know, but, "better an old hat than a bare head", old Russian proverb.

But, a machine shop might be best for the heads, shave 'em down a bit, check 'em for straightness, and pressure test 'em, I know. I actually re-torqued the driver side cylinder head in hopes to stave of

replacement until next spring. The existing gasket was leaking oil externally, and seems like leaking between combustion chambers after warm up, causing rough idle and inconsistent idle as well.

No coolant or motor oil contamination yet though.

Did not use the Subaru preferred method of torque. Loosened all, keeping some snugness on the lower ones, just enough to prevent coolant loss. Removed one at a time as far as I could, and oiled and or WD 40'd the threads and washers, then torqued in stages, 25, 51, 60, 70, 80, 88. Keeping my fingers crossed so to speak.

Realized the motor really should be pulled for a good repair to head gaskets, and installing a new clutch at the same time. Motor weighs about 264 pounds with all accessories I think. So, planning on putting it on a 4 wheel

metal dolly, after pulling with a hoist, to move it to the yard for repairs. Since I have no driveway or garage, and vehicle is on the street.

Who knows, spring seems like an eternity from now.