Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ironworkerboomer

I aquired this cool little wagon a little while ago From  JAmacT. I thought the motor had issues and the 5 speed had no reverse But the price was right FREE.

See ad here

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/155635-free-86-subaru-dl-manual-5-speed-4wd-wagon/?hl=free

So after towing her from Bishop to Salmon Idaho with no issues I was feeling pretty good. I pulled the dip stick and it was overfull by almost a quart and a half, maybe to quiet the terrible noise the motor was making. It was the tick of death X10. So I'm thinking junk! I always do a engine clean out before I pull it. I will give the recipe as was told to me by a career mechanic back in the early 80's. for a four quart system 2.5 oil 1.5 ATF new filter start and let idle for 30 minutes watch the temp. OK i can hear the flame throwers charging up, but I have done this to more engines than I can count with zero bad juju. Well Blue wagon seemed to love it the engine quieted down to a normal TOD. Drain oil/ATF and the sludge, and repeat, with a new filter. Drained and filled with synthetic blend I had on the shelf, TOD only at idle now. A stuck lifter or lifters, I am now thinking. 

The 5 speed has its own weirdness going on. NO reverse. it goes into a gear type space but no gear. While messing around I found reverse but closer to 4th. There is not a lot of slop in shifter except where reverse should be and is. But now I have a running driving (extremely loud) wagon. Push button 4 wheel works well. Needs a clutch in the worst way and front boot is gone, but axle isn't clicking loud enough for a deaf Ironworker to hear. 

We put 500 miles on her in the three weeks at the house. She is now in hibernation next to my vette and Electra Glide waiting for spring and a bunch of parts.

4a0264d4-17ce-4e31-ba78-b52b3c2cbe2f.jpg

IMG_1862.jpg

IMG_1861.jpg

IMG_1860.jpg

and one of my son showing me he is almost big enough to get my ol Harley

IMG_1864.jpg

That is an Awesome story, good way to "Resurrect" a good ol' EA82 wagon; the ATF had freed stuff inside but maybe more miles driving plus a new Oil Pump might help to elongate her lifespan. I like the fact it was Free, nothing can Beat free for sure... I wish I could find such a deal in Honduras... because even with those problems, that Wagon would be expensive here... 

Congratulations, Kind Regards.

This is my favorite flavor. Way to give Wagon Smurf a new lease on life! I remember the for sale ad and was so surprised nobody picked it up at first. I'm glad somebody with intentions to fix it up and use it got it. Can't beat the price! ;-)

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I now have a 5 speed D/R for Free Wagon. And wife said it needs bigger tires, and bumpers!  :D Challenge excepted. I think she has became a closet Subie junkie, and she smiles when she calls them my Stoopid Subaru.  I think I'll put SS badges on Free Wagon. In her honor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Nice Video, thank you for Sharing it.

At the beginning, there is a confusing metallic rattle sound, that doesn't seem to come from the car itself, sounded more like something loose on the Roof Rack, but nothing seems to be loose there...

Kind Regards.

I had to watch it several times to figure it out. It's the tree branches hitting on the roof rack. Thanks for the interest, Loyale 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I did the Weber swap, no need for photos looks like every other one  :) But I am impressed with the first drive. I run super non ethanol, so I turned up the timing quite a bit. I run this gas because I may be gone at work for a week or 6 months.  The Free Wagon has more soup than my brat when skinny pedal is on the carpet. 235,000 miles and back from the brink of the crusher I say Win. And a little teaser. I am purchasing a tent trailer for her soon, photos of the family adventures ASAP

Freespirit-Recreation-Journey-Off-Road-T

• Like 1

• 4 years later...