Ultimate Subaru Message Board

if you swap the drivers side cam sprocket and the crank sprocket - yes.

since the timing belts are way over due (or sat for awhile/questionable in a used engine ) they should be replaced anyway and this is zero additional work - or one extra bolt for the cam sprocket.

if the sprockets are the same - then they don't need changed and it's plug and play.  but it's so easy that shouldn't be a game changer.

they both need to be EGR as well.

What would the cam and crank sprocket have to do with it?

Drivers side cam sprocket has triggers for the cam sensor, crank sprocket has triggers for the crank sensor. 

Subaru used two different style trigger marks for those engines (this isn't always the case - but for those it is). 

The vehicle (namely the ECU) needs the correct trigger marks. so your options are:

1. verify the trigger marks are the same - count the teeth on the crank sprocket - only requires removing the timing belt cover, not a big deal.

2.  guess and hope it's correct and swap later if the car doesn't run.

3.  verify when/where those different triggers are used - since you presumably have both vehicles to work with you could check the cam/crank sprocket part numbers ***with Subaru*** ***using the VIN*** of each vehicle to see if they're the same.

i think it's a manual and automatic difference - but i could be wrong.  at this point I find it best to physically check myself.

4.  just swap them - that's the 100% repeatable/easy method.

That list shows new timing belt, tensioner, and pulleys, so there's no need for the belt to come off on that one.   check the part numbers i mentioned with Subaru/VIN.

Ok Gary,

Next is what clutch, the motor I'm putting in comes out of an automatic, the car it's going into is a manual. What is the deal with the oversize bearing kit? Is this something I should be concerned with?

Drivers side cam sprocket has triggers for the cam sensor, crank sprocket has triggers for the crank sensor. 

Subaru used two different style trigger marks for those engines (this isn't always the case - but for those it is). 

The vehicle (namely the ECU) needs the correct trigger marks. so your options are:

1. verify the trigger marks are the same - count the teeth on the crank sprocket - only requires removing the timing belt cover, not a big deal.

2.  guess and hope it's correct and swap later if the car doesn't run.

3.  verify when/where those different triggers are used - since you presumably have both vehicles to work with you could check the cam/crank sprocket part numbers ***with Subaru*** ***using the VIN*** of each vehicle to see if they're the same.

i think it's a manual and automatic difference - but i could be wrong.  at this point I find it best to physically check myself.

4.  just swap them - that's the 100% repeatable/easy method.

That list shows new timing belt, tensioner, and pulleys, so there's no need for the belt to come off on that one.   check the part numbers i mentioned with Subaru/VIN.

timing belt teeth are the same, i mean the trigger points on the back of the sprocket.  i'm not sure you can see those by just looking at the front. 

the crank sprocket is easier to look at - just pull the cover and look.  the trigger points stick up and can easily be seen on the back of the sprocket.

***you are not counting the teeth the timing belt rides on*** - the trigger points in the back.  look where the cam and crank sensors are - it's sensing the triggers.

i hear you on that - I suppose you might be able to google pictures of the cam sprockets and maybe the differences are obvious enough to tell by feel?

or pull the crank or cam sensor and try to peak down the holes and see them that way?   or can you get your fingers behind the cam sprocket and feel for the marks?

• 2 weeks later...