Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sport Grill and Skid Plate

forester grille skid plate diy fabricate mesh grille sport grille sh xp mod

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Resurrect Dead

Resurrect Dead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Mancos, co

Posted 08 November 2015 - 10:13 AM

I got a little mod-happy yesterday. It started with pulling my sway bars and sort of snowballed from there. I made a mesh sport grill by cutting out the old silver parts on the stock grill, painting it black and cutting some honeycomb expandable steel I got from the metal supply place. I also grabbed some aluminum to make a lightweight skid plate for the bottom. It isn't gonna support the weight of the car or anything, but it'll definitely protect against rocks and stumps in the trail. 

Tomorrow I'm going to the junk yard and pulling a grill guard off a Rav4 to see if I can make it fit on the foz. I'll let you guys know how it goes!
Before

After
The front attaches to the stock threaded holes form the plastic splash guards. Bent it to wrap up the front and tuck it under the towing receivers. 

Attached the back under the existing subframe plate

#2 Resurrect Dead

Resurrect Dead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Mancos, co

Posted 08 November 2015 - 10:18 AM

Here's the construction process for the plate - mocked it up with cardboard first, then outlined onto the metal. Marked out the two front holes, test fitted, bent, test fitted, bent some more, test fitted. The final test fit before marking the back holes I slid it in as if it were going to be mounted, screwed in the front and then marked the holes where it would bolt between the subframe and frame. Measuring is for the birds, I eyeball that stuff because I'm awful at math - easier to just hold it up there and mark the holes. 

Untitled by Jim Ferrigno, on Flickr

#3 Resurrect Dead

Resurrect Dead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Mancos, co

Posted 08 November 2015 - 10:19 AM

As for the grille, I took it apart cut out all the center space and painted it

Then I put it back together, cut the honeycomb steel to fit, marked the bends and went to town. Once it was properly fitted, I zip-tied it down and bonded it with Automotive Goop. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: forester, grille, skid plate, diy, fabricate, mesh grille, sport grille, sh, xp, mod

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users