Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is This the Right Thermostat?

So I have been having trouble hunting down the right thermostat. I found one on a website called subarupartsamerica.com but the stupid website only displays a stupid diagram and gives no info on the thermostat itself. I want to make sure it is the standard 180 degree opening temp but it does not provide that info which is really irritating. Can anyone confirm or deny that this is the right stat? Or does anyone know of a website where I can get more info on OEM parts? here is the link: http://www.subarupartsamerica.com/parts/1984/SUBARU/GL/Base/index.cfm?action=partDetail&section=COOLING%20SYSTEM&group=COOLING%20SYSTEM&subgroup=COOLING%20SYSTEM&component=THERMOSTAT&partnumber=21200AA121&vehicleid=45717&siteid=216122

Thanks all

• 5 months later...

Hey guys, sorry to resurrect an old thread but I am still not very clear on this whole thermostat ordeal. Is the one in my link the right one or not? Naru says that the opening temp for 1984 is 190 degrees, and I'm not trying to knock you or anything Naru, its just that all I have ever heard is 180 degrees. So could I get some input from the rest of you guys on this for extra clarification? Is the temp 180 or 190? and since I cant find the part number that naru listed, could I use the one that I listed without any ill effects to my EA81?   

Okay so I looked in my two different repair manuals and both confirmed that the temp is indeed 190. sorry for doubting Naru  :unsure: .  But I still would like some guidance on whether or not I could run this stat in my car. I know 20 degrees is quite a big difference, but it is either this or stick with an aftermarket one and just pray that it does not fail on me. I have looked high and low and I just cant find any other Subaru OEM stat that fits my car. My guess is they stopped manufacturing them. Anyways, any guidance on this issue is much appreciated 

Edited by Sapper 157

The high end Stant ones are good also. 

I've been running a 180 degree one in one of my EA82s for a while now.  The heater doesn't quite crank out like the other one, with a 190, but no other problems.