Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where could I get a 2" lift for my 1982 Subaru Brat GL

I am trying to get a 2" or 4" inch lift for my 1982 Subaru Brat GL 4WD but I can't find anywhere to get one and I don't want to do any modifications to the body if its possible. Another thing I'm in desperate need of is a passenger floorboard and both runners. The previous owners didn't take care of the trucks so I'm restoring them to their former glory and once again bring these Brats back to life. I got both for $800 total and once I saw the condition they were in I knew I had to get them and restore them. What I never expected was that my 1982 Subaru Brat would have the extremely rare "third eye" which you cant find anymore unless your lucky. Here's a picture of my Brats in the condition when I bought them but I haven't taken a recent photo of them cause I've been trying to restore them. I'm also posting a picture of my 82's "third eye" when I first discovered it.

post-60693-0-94504400-1447352805_thumb.jpg

post-60693-0-61703600-1447352898_thumb.jpg

Pactrick at ADF. He lives pretty close to where I live out in Sandy so roughly your an hour away. I have a 4" lift for my brat and have a 6" for my hatch. Super easy to lift these. Steering linkage is easy all you have to do is find a double jointed linkage off another subaru(delete the rag joint) or fabricate one so it works. My hatch has a ea82 power steering front end/suspension and the linkage off a manual rack ea82 was a perfect fit after i clearance the joint for more movement with a bur.  Brake lines are easy too. Just make a extensions using a double flare. I made 6" extensions for the front and converted the back to disks so no need to extend because of the extra line add.

Unfortunately, any lift that drops the sub will require the brake lines and steering shaft extended. Ive not done it because of this. None of the kits Ive seen here address these items.

If you're only doing a 2 inch lift there is no need to extend your steering shaft or your brake lines. I have a 6 inch lift and just clipped the line holders and tied them up with bailing wire, works flawlessl, It's not addressed because it's very easy to do yourself 

ADF is just around the corner from you (Sandy, Oregon) has good competeing prices and he's awesome, 100% recommend him

Edited by sumoco

If your only lifting the struts to gain your 2" then the steering shaft wont need extended. Then you have axle and tire wear issues (thats not a lift kit). All of its "easy", but requires time. I also want to add that Ive seen a couple home brew lifts on Scouts that made me feel uncomfortable sitting in the rig. Hockey pucks square tubing a 2x4s. For some reason that steering shaft has always bugged me. I think its not in the kit for liability reasons. When I get too the Brat project I will lift it, someday.

If your only lifting the struts to gain your 2" then the steering shaft wont need extended. Then you have axle and tire wear issues (thats not a lift kit). All of its "easy", but requires time. I also want to add that Ive seen a couple home brew lifts on Scouts that made me feel uncomfortable sitting in the rig. Hockey pucks square tubing a 2x4s. For some reason that steering shaft has always bugged me. I think its not in the kit for liability reasons. When I get too the Brat project I will lift it, someday.

Only doing a strut lift on a gen2 car is a BAD idea. It is impossible to get the camber even close to correct and the axles get smoked, too.

I built and installed my lift in one day the second time around. (I had to do it twice because I didn't read enough before diving in the first time...) And if you have a welder, the steering shaft extension is trivial. 2x2 tubing 1/4" thick makes a pretty solid lift that is well documented and proven to stand up very well. The worst thing that I've heard is bent strut spacer blocks after REALLY hard wheeling. That's hardly catastrophic.

Pre-made lifts are nice and lots of guys on the forum sell them, but if someone wants to make their own, it really is simple and safe if you have even the slightest fabrication experience.

• 7 months later...

I just installed a 2" lift kit on my 82 Brat. I chose one I found on this very post. I tend to agree with IHScout on this one. Yes, the steering has to be extended. I used a 1/2" x 3" schedule 40 pipe nipple welded over the cut steering shaft. Yes, I assume no one wants to accept the liability of modifying the steering linkage. Not sure exactly what "other Subaru" you would get a longer piece of linkage out of. I noticed often folks just throw something like that out. The year and model might be just a wee bit useful. 

Brake lines were a problem also. No, a flared line on both ends won't work. One end needs to be flared with a male fitting, and the other needs to be female. I struck out after going to no less than six local suppliers. Ended up cutting the line supports and bending the tubing to make up the extra 2". You wouldn't be able to get any more than 2" slack out of the existing lines, so if you bought a three inch lift your out of luck. Not exactly self evident.

In addition to holes not aligning in the kit I bought I discovered that three of the pieces were incorrectly fabricated. The rear spacers for the mustache bar were too short, the holes were off over an inch! I cut the piece in half and used it that way. The passenger side front piece also did not fit. Again I cut it in two to allow me to use it. The passenger side rear mustache bar spacer hit the gas tank. I beat the tank in slightly to get the piece in place. 

Nothing was included to to make the rear shocks fit since I added 2" between the frame and body. I guess just go to a shop and ask for Rancho shocks and they will know what you are talking about, and sell you the correct shocks????

Now I have the kit installed and my front camber is off +7/8" with no way to adjust it. Looks like a bit more cutting and welding will be in order. This time on the control arm. Unless I get a better idea from one of you folks.

In all honesty I'm not even upset by the kit I bought. It is obviously a garage built unit, but the price was cheap enough. No instructions at all was the first clue. I intentionally left off the name of the person I bought this kit from. I never went back to him except to ask if he had any instructions. What I got from him was laughable, so it seemed useless to ask his opinion on anything else. Let the buyer beware, and allow a lot of time and energy to get this done. 

It does look cool, and now I think I'll be able to do some true off-roading at my deer lease. The Brat is perfect for hauling corn to my feeders, and harvested deer back to camp