Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Boosting a non turbo l wagon

00Impreza

like to say whats up first of all, never been a member on a forum so please forgive my noobness. i recently acquired a 2000 impreza L wagon to screw around drive to school and back and beat up. but i have had so much fun with it i want to keep and give it a better life than what it had in vermont. its got 125k on the clock and is rustier than all heck, i want to take it to a shop and get it check out to see if its still safe or worth investing money into it. the only thing i could think of making this subaru 10 more badass is turboing it. i wanna keep the whole sleeper and college kid look to it. http://www.automersi...bo-subaru-ej22/ i found this article and it fits what I'm planning to do. my only question is when it comes to getting a wrx header and up pipe and crossmember what years can i get. other than that how much would it cost time and money wise or a noob like me to get this project done or would it be cheaper and better to get it done else where thanks

Boosting a N/A Subaru generally makes the engine very unreliable.  If you have your heart set on a turbo Subaru and want it to last a few 10s of thousands of miles, you should really be swapping in a factory turbo engine, or just buy a cheap, rusty WRX instead.  Save yourself the time, money and heartache of building it yourself.

Boosting a N/A Subaru generally makes the engine very unreliable  ...

The 2.2 takes boost just fine. Run it on waste gate pressure, around 7psi, and it definitely wouldn't have any issues ...

I agree with both somehow... Turbo brings unreliability and more things to care, Despite that the EJ22 can bear a Turbo, people almost never keep the Boost low...

Kind Regards.

keep the boost low and you will be fine.  I was thinking of running ~4 psi on my frankenmotor.  My situation would be race fuel only with a turbo'd high comp motor, but if done right with a standalone ECU I dont see any issues.  Its been done before, I've followed a few builds on FB where guys have done it and it worked

Been done many times. Those ECUs are surprisingly quick to adjust fuel ratios for a little boost. You won't get any timing, though, so that's the big limit.

We did it on my buddy's '95 impreza 3 times, the first 2 had issues due to supporting mods (Piggy backs....3rd time we let 'er buck on the stock tune, and it ran fantastically for about 30k miles). That 2.2 had well over 200k miles when we pulled it out for a WRX swap.

I've seen several just push 7ish psi through them with almost zero other mods (hotter plugs, gapped a little tighter...). If I were to do it, I'd swap to parallel fuel rails, with pump and regulator for higher pressure. More fuel with the same setup, and better fuel atomization. 

• Like 2