Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1996 and 1997 Outback Manual Transmission Questions, Time sensitive

Just joined the forum and hoping to get some answers to replacement tranny questions!

Our 1996 Outback, 2.2L AWD 250k miles manual needs a transmission replacement.

The transmission type code is TY752VABCA  MFG Date of our car is 5/96

Our Subaru mechanic also has a salvage yard and they had a replacement.  We got about 20 minues down the road after the repair and the transmission was howling, car shook a little, etc. 

We took it back and they checked it all over and said the new (used) tranny was bad.

So then began the search for another transmission, as they don't have any others that will work in our car.

We weren't able to find a tranny with the exact code mentioned above, after looking locally and online.

We ended up buying one from a used parts broker out of New Hampshire.

Based on our VIN (4S3BG4855T6985313)  they said we needed one that had come out of a 1997 2.5 Outback with trans type: TY752VACCA    

I checked this chart http://home.gci.net/~cowdookey/818/TransmissionIDChart_Public.pdf  the ones I'm talking about are on page 6 of the chart, our original (VABCA) is the 4th one from the top, the replacement (VACCA) IS 7th from the top.  

our original tranny (TY752VABCA) and the replacement TY752VACCA have the exact same gear ratios and final drive.  I read on a forum (maybe this one) that as long as the final drive matches a tranny should work.

However our mechanic told us that the placement tranny (we ended up ordering it and having it shipped there) might be from a 4wd 97 subaru.  I didn't even know these existed and I can't find much info online about it.

So, anyone know, will our new transmission work as a replacement?  

Thanks!

Edited by MaineSubaruPeople

a 4wd does not exist, at least not in north American subarus since the 80s... You can use pretty much any 4.44 ratio manual from 96- at lest the end of the ej series engine run.. After 1998, there may be sensor differences but idk. They will bolt up and function

Your mechanic doesn't know much about subaru transmissions. After 95 they are ALL AWD.

96 was kind of an oddball year because it was the only year you could get the true Outback (raised roof, lift, bigger tires) with a manual trans and a 2.2 engine. The MT 2.2 outback used the 4.11 final drive.

To match that trans you need a manual trans from any 96-98 2.5L Legacy Outback. It will have the same final drive, and it will bolt in and work just the same.

The problem you likely ran into before is the mechanic installed a manual trans from a later 2.2 engine car, which would have the wrong 3.90 final drive.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I believe I have the exact same problem and solution as MaineSubaruPeople... I own a 96 legacy outback wagon with 2.2 engine mfg in 12/95.  The plate under the hood calls for a tranny number TY752VABCA.  Mine seems to be on the way out at 270,000 exactly (not staying in 3rd gear and hard to get into 3rd, plus making some rubbing noises...)  I happened to buy a 97 for parts last year - it hit a deer - and the tranny in it is a TY752VACCA.  I'd like to pay someone to swap it into my car....

Good idea??  Just want to be sure it'll work, obviously.

Thanks for advice!!

Edited by SenorPaco

You or car has a 4.11 final drive ratio, you need a 4.11 final drive transmission to match your rear differential.

If the 97 originally had a 2.5 engine the trans will match.

If the 97 originally had a 2.2 engine, the final drive will not match. You can use the trans but will need to swap the rear differential as well.

Verify the original engine type by the VIN.

• Like 1

I believe I have the exact same problem and solution as MaineSubaruPeople... I own a 96 legacy outback wagon with 2.2 engine mfg in 12/95.

96 and 97 are the same transmission, completely interchangeable, only variance is going to be the final drive ratio.

If the 96 and 97 final drive ratio is the same - swap the transmission.

If the final drive ratio is different then swap the trans and rear diff to match.

Alternately you could assume they're the same final drive, swap the transmission. If you get binding, then swap the rear differential.

Edited by idosubaru
  • Like 1

THANK YOU Fairtax4me and idosubaru, GREAT NEWS!!  I guess that $300 I spent on the parts car will pay off in spades!  

96 VIN is 4S3BG4856T6385576

97 VIN is 4S3BG685XV6645797

96 has 270,000 miles and the 97 has 188,000 miles.  Do you think it would be prudent to go ahead and move the rear diff over with the transmission anyway?  Is there any test to estimate the condition of the older rear diff?

Paco

Do you think it would be prudent to go ahead and move the rear diff over with the transmission anyway?  Is there any test to estimate the condition of the older rear diff?

Drain the fluid - if it's clean with no debris/particulates then it's fine.  

Subaru rear diff's never fail. They're mechanical systems so of course it happens but those are outliers.

• Like 1

a 4wd does not exist, at least not in north American subarus since the 80s... You can use pretty much any 4.44 ratio manual from 96- at lest the end of the ej series engine run.. After 1998, there may be sensor differences but idk. They will bolt up and function

4.11 not 4.44

We didn't get any 4.44 manuals in the us.

Based on our VIN (4S3BG4855T6985313)  they said we needed one that had come out of a 1997 2.5 Outback with trans type: TY752VACCA

Your car came with a TY752VABCA, But yes, a TY752VACCA should work.

4.11 not 4.44

We didn't get any 4.44 manuals in the us.

It's not really relevant here, but we definitely got 4.444 manuals here. '04-'08 Forester XT, Baja XT, '05-'09 OBXT, and '13-'17 Crosstrek.

Your car came with a TY752VABCA, But yes, a TY752VACCA should work.

It's not really relevant here, but we definitely got 4.444 manuals here. '04-'08 Forester XT, Baja XT, '05-'09 OBXT, and '13-'17 Crosstrek.

I meant in the year range he was asking about.

those trans would be incorrect fit for this application.

• Like 1

And even though I posted a glitch almost 3 years ago. I was probably thinking auto.. I'm not sure any 4.44 manual existed outside of the turbo transmissions in any DM

Wow, I just realized this was an ancient thread that was dredged up.....and there's really 2 different people asking similar questions.

FYI, '13-'17 Crosstrek manuals were 4.444 and non-turbo.