Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi.... can anyone explain why I am getting mixed messages about the block heater part number needed for a 1999 Subaru Legacy/Outback? I THINK I might know the answer but I want to be sure. I found the PDF file on how to install the part, but between the forums I have read, Ebay, and Amazon, and also the Subaru online parts outfits, they cannot agree... I think what has happened is the original part number was A0910AS000 and it is now A0910AS100..... Will either of these fit and do they both work well? Has anybody run into this problem and installed their own block heater? Thanks.... Dennis

I have a 96 Legacy Outback that I bought used and came with a block heater.  I have yet to use it other than removing it to drain the antifreeze.  I think your year falls into a different configuration category than the 96 but on mine it seams like it just has to be the right diameter and of course thread size.  With those two things proper, it involves taking out the the drain plug that comes stock and replacing it with the heater.

Hi ahhsit..... Thanks for the information and reply.....I decided to write a ton of emails too, to online Subaru dealers who do a lot of business on Ebay and Amazon.... some of them gave vague answers, but a couple did come through with the answer I needed to hear... ironically, I see you are in Boulder CO.... and the unit I ordered is coming from Heuberger Motors I think in Colorado Springs..... It turns out that there are two numbers for this kind of block heater and the one that ends in 000 is the original number..... and that was replaced or what they call "superseded" by the identical number ending in 100...... From what I could see... the 000 unit has the element sticking out further, and the 100 unit is more recessed.... both look identical after that and I have been assured that both will work... So from then on, the only consideration was price.... and I got one ordered for $38 and free shipping which I can live with.... Now I need to find someone with the correct hex head to remove the original plug and also look to see if I have some high temperature silicone for the threads.... Otherwise, someone is another forum said if you are "quick" you can take out the old one and install the new prepped heater plug in one motion which does not require draining the antifreeze... which was installed less than a year ago.... so I will try that with a large pan as a back up in case I turn into a clutz which has been known to happen.... thanks again... Dennis

Professor,

I'd say you're gonna have to be really quick if planning on doing this without losing a bunch of coolant.  Even before you get the plug all the way out the coolant is running down your hand and tools.  Make sure you do it with a cool engine because I'm thinking while you get the plug out for those seconds before you can get the heater in you may want to hold your hand or something over the hole (it comes out quick).  Plus the time it'll take to get the heater seated properly and threaded to the point of non-leakage, ya better have some extra coolant on hand.  My plug is a 14mm hex if that helps any.  If the heater is like mine you'll also need a large deep socket, mine is a 27mm.  And also I went without silicone or tape on the threads.  I was skeptical but I had some silicone on hand just in case and ended up not using it (no signs of leaking).  Although with the silicone, removal will probably be easier in the future.  Too bad you're not "around the corner", I'd trade ya my heater for your plug if all was the same size.  Glad to be of assistance.  Billy

Edited by ahhsit