Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Check engine light, flashing vs. not

Thanks for the advice here;  we took the 96 Legacy 2.2 to Smitty's and they said MAF sensor needed replacement to the tune of around $400; and plugs and wires to address the sister's misfire code on the car, they want $200 for that but plugs were just changed.  I picked up $35 wires from Advance with the replacement guarantee and MAF sensor cleaner for around $8.  Smittys says it rarely works, I will probably look for a used MAF at the junkyard if needed.

Edited by ThosL

• 1 year later...

I'm still having the problem with my sister's car; soon after start up, even letting it warm up, you go up a hill, power loss and check engine light flashing.  No mechanic can solve this problem.  When it is totally warm it runs like a top as 2.2 cars should.

• 2 years later...
On 11/20/2015 at 10:32 AM, Trailcutr said:

I had almost the exact same symptoms with my mass air flow sensor. It can't be tested but there are cheap ones online. I found two for around 30 a piece when mine went bad.

Or try to clean it with some mass air flow sensor cleaner see if it works. It never worked for me.

It should throw a code for it if it's bad but you know how that can be. I also had a bad knock sensor once that had similar symptoms but not so much lack of power. It kept throwing weird codes till I figured it out.

Also subaru plug wires are very thin and can arc with the slightest damage. I replace all mine every year it seems before winter. Make sure you inspect them all thoroughly for any mouse chewings. One tiny tooth mark is all it takes to cause a misfire. This time of year is the most likely time it will happen with winter coming.

Just a thought.

Thanks for the thought on this old topic, I was just looking at the thread now years later.

In retrospect the problems that none of the shops around here could figure out would have been resolved with MAF, starter coil, burping the coolant system and probably the spark plug wires.

The 2.2 has been running like a top lately, one of the best Subarus I have driven.  

One of the local guys, "Lenny" said the car had "a lot of problems" that he didn't think could be fixed and just wagged his head.

Edited by ThosL