Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Okay,

I am sure you're thinking, wow another vibration thread.... 

Hear me out at least.

On my 2006 Outback 2.5i

I have replaced:

4 CV Axles

4 Struts

All New Brakes

New Wheels

New Tires

4 Tie Rod Ends

Two Ball Joints

With that said, I am having a vibration at about 60 mph and above. I have had two shops check for ANY looseness in the front end with no luck. LCA bushings show no signs of leaking or tearing. 

My only guesses are that the aftermarket front cv axles are causing the vibration as I have heard they are capable of, although they don't make any other noise or additional vibration under acceleration.

Second theory is that it has to do with the power steering. When turning the wheel something about it doesn't feel super smooth or predictable. It's hard to explain but it's not always noticeable or there at all, usually only can tell when driving slow.

Are there any other things that could be causing this? The vibration IS IN THE STEERING WHEEL ONLY. Once over 60mph the wheel vibrates back and forth about an inch or less each way. No noise associated with it just the feeling. And gets worse at higher speeds. 

Sorry for the long post, I guess the better I explain up front the less time you waste asking questions though!

Any help is appreciated!

post-50210-0-94711200-1447918662_thumb.jpg

you didn't mention alignment - maybe the tow or other parameter is a little out-of-spec?

there is a 'cardan' (?) or type of u-joint on the steering shaft that might create odd feelings in the steering wheel. Dunno about only at speed though - weird.

a very common problem is also air in the power steering fluid - often caused by a bad o-ring at the suction hose adapter on top of the PS pump. But, also not usually reported to be at speed only.....

some people have had worn rack bushings create problems.

odd

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

I think the rotors are fine because there is no vibrations while braking. How can you check for a bent rim?

I had it aligned and it helped slightly but still there:(

Oh ya I checked that U joint. I couldn't feel any obvious slack or see anything loose. 

I am going to double check the rack bushings, that would be great if those were the problem!

I would expect a bent rim would have been caught by tire mounting techs. And it's hard to figure how it would be 'notchy' feeling in the wheel.

can you describe this feeling better? does the tracking of the car change? is it some that happens only 2-3 times when turning the wheel? something that feels woodpecker-like in its repetition? (several pulses in a a coupla inches?)

That's why I said to rotate the tires, it will tell you if its tire related or not. And warped brakes can cause vibration at high speed, bit you would still feel it in the wheel when braking so next step is to verify rims and tires. Also tire technicians don't always catch everything so we can still safely assume its possible its tire related

Edited by mikaleda

The feeling in the steering wheel is definitely a pulsing feeling. The repetition of the pulsing is woodpecker-like for sure. You can feel it pretty much through every part of the steering wheel rotation. What would this mean? I checked the ps reservoir today and saw no bubbling at cold or hot temps.

I will get tires rotated in the next couple days and get back. 

Thanks for the input!!

ok, 60mph is about  - what? 22 - 2500 rpm?

have someone rev and hold the car to that rpm while looking for bubbles in the reservoir. maybe even gently push-pull on the hose?

any work/service done to the PS before this began? topped-off with 'generic' ps fluid? Is the fluid still red or does it look like coffee? You could try getting some fresh ATF in there.

STOPSBubblescopy.jpg

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan