Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No fuel !?

Hi folks, I'm working on a 85 GL, got the car this spring with engine disassembled. I got the rebuilt one in, I did however do away with the Hitachi carburetor. The issue now is fuel pump is not getting power, did I interrupt a important connection with the carb feed back some how? I tried with plugging in connectors on carb, still no energy. Fuse is good, not sure what relay controls fuel pump control. ????

Try this suggestion, first:

... connected a battery directly to pump to check it works?

If the Fuel pump runs with direct wiring from the Battery, the problem might be a Blown fuse.

If the Pump doesn't run, check if the wiring is receiving Power, which is only the first seconds after placing the switch at "ON" position.

Remember that the fuel pump doesn't run forever in "ON" position, only few seconds and then Quits; waiting for the signal of the running engine, to continue pumping.

Kind Regards.

I did a bench test on the pump, it makes one pump (squirt) and only hums, did it a few times and same result. My guess is the pump is bad. Also I was testing the wiring by myself, might explain why I thought no power, it probably already shut off by the time I got to it.