Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Back from a weekend of Camping/Wheeling... (long)

Sorry, no pix guys. The Digital camera is dead :(

I finally got the Wagon road ready by thursday night. Gave me time to pack and be ready Friday afternoon. Headed north to a spot I know of. Its kinda a Memorial day tradition for me, since these are the only people Ive met in California who REALLY love to camp, and do it right.

Met a couple new family's, and saw a few others I haven't seen since last year. My buddy Dave is the one who initially introduced me, and he has a CJ7 thats built alittle. He always brings along some of his Jeepin buddy's, and this year his friend Al showed up again with his built CJ7 and a dude named Craig with his built Toyota Landcruiser.

Dave's CJ7 and Craigs Cruiser both have like 35" or 37" tires and Al's has at least 37" to 40" under his CJ7. Al's Rig is all custom fabricated by himself, and has bead locks etc... They're all old Rubicon guys and not the average Jeep owner I encounter.

Anyhow, we started the wheeling Saturday morning at around 10am. We had all 4 rigs packed with 1 driver, and at least 2 kids each. My car had 3 kids in it, and each was eager to go have some fun. We started off on just some plain logging roads. We would often venture off the main trail to find an abandoned mining camp, or something. We even found an abandoned mineshaft with some really coold stuff around. Fun to be had by all :)

We were headed to an old mining town called Poker Flat. On our way we ran into a pack of Jeeps, and one guy had broken his front axle housing. Al was carrying some welding rod, and offered to do a temp fix. I got to see them daisy chain 3 car battery's and re-weld this dude's axle back. I think almost everybody learned something new that day :)

By 2pm we had made it to the last standing building in Poker Flat, but not without traveling through some wicked terrain. Being the high sierra's, of course there's rock everywhere. We had come down the mountainside, wich was cliff on one side, and granite on the other All the while your pretty much at a 45 to 60 degree angle. The 3 kids I had in my car got to see how tipsy a Jeep can be. I assured them that the Subaru would have to get hit in the side with something in order to roll (like a jeep).

After Poker flat we headed up the other side of the ravine we were in. The Subaru had a real hard time climbing, but thats mostly after I drenched the Disty in a creek (oh, and a huge mud pit too with water up to the doors). But I was able to climb through most of it.

By 5pm we had decided to head back to our camp (which was probably a good 30miles away by now). My sube was able to keep up, but not without alot of whining. On the way back to Poker flat (headed back to camp) I had sliced one of my front tires on something (nice 2" gash in the sidewall) and I wasn't too happy about it. Luckily we were on some pretty stable land, but it was at an incline. My jack didnt want to stay under the car, and we ended up using the 7 males we had, and lifted the front of the subie off the ground. I was able to put the spare on, and off we were.

We passed poker flat again by 5:30 and were on our way back up the mountainside again. After smoking my clutch twice, i had to put up the white flag. I had Dave hook up with my strap, and he pretty much pulled me up the mountainside. We made it back to the main trailhead by 6:30 and was smooth sailing all the way back to camp. We stopped at a place called Eureka Diggins wich was a huge dirt pit that had been mined out about 100+ years ago. It had rained the night before, so there was still plenty of water and mud :) We got to have some fun, but while climbing a hill, I slid into a tree and munched the passenger front door pretty good. Window wont roll down, and the door opens from the inside only now :)

We made it back to camp by 8pm and had dinner, slept like a baby and then came home. The Sube had a hard time, but it got me there... and got me home. Next time i'll have the camera... i swear :)

-Brian

You would have had as much trouble as I did GD. I think the only guys that wouldnt have, are the ones with divorced T-Cases.

It was a blast, but the future of my Wagon us unknown at this time :( I cannot afford to replace the tire I slashed. The car is no longer registered and wont pass CA smog, so i dont even think its worth the effort to repair. I may just look for a good shell, and transfer everything into it, at that time i'll think of more extreme mods :)

-Brian

Its kinda a Memorial day tradition for me, since these are the only people Ive met in California who REALLY love to camp, and do it right.

you should be glad. if everyone loved to camp you can see the problems that would create.

well most of my friends either camp/ backpack/wheel.

this is why I still have my toyota truck. I love taking the wagon off road but for the real serious stuff its nice to have 33s a locker and low gears and a torquey injected motor.

dont get me wrong its great that some of you are building your roos into lean mean wheelin machines. its just not my cup of tea. I have a vehicle that does that already.

Brian why cant you pass smog? modifications or problems? I rember you discussing this before but I forget the exact problem. I may be able to help.

The mechanic said it was running rich. He advised that I rebuild it. I got a kit, and changed the carb gaskets, but havent had it tested again. It needs a new exhaust, and its pretty beatup now. With its new dent in the door, it looks pretty sad. Also, my drivers side fender got munched real bad, and tore away from the mounts, so it flaps alot.

I also bent the lower control arm, and radius rod a while ago. I replaced the lower control arm, but since everything else is bent, the steering is all off.

Im thinking of finding a Sedan or Hatchback thats rotting away somewhere, and bring it back to life with the wagon as a donor. Just gotta find the time and place to do it.

-Brian

No, im running an open rear end. Wheel placement wasnt a problem, but i had a hard time crossing some of the creeks. I didnt have my disty boot on, and kept getting water in there :( That and my abused clutch made it very difficult. Plus my car was packed with all my camping gear, and 3 kids... thats something im not used to.

Im thinking on version 2.0 there'll be minor upgrades on the carburation, and ignition.

-Brian

I think i'll look for a EA81 Hatchback Shell. All it needs is a good tranny & body. Everything else will come from my Wagon.

WJM: Im thinking of Subaru MPFI from a EA81T minus the Turbo. Im totally unsure about the engine as of now though, could just do it the easy way and bolton a webber.

-Brian