Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1992 Loyale fuel system problem

Hello, I have a 1992 Loyale. I've been driving it for the past year now. About 8 months ago I had some fuel system problems and I ended up replacing the fuel pump, the fuel filter, and the fuel injector and it ran fine up until now. 2 weeks ago I walked out to start it up in the morning and turned over but didn't fire. I tinkered around with it for a while and ended up unplugging and plugging the fuel injector electrical harness and pulling out and putting back in the fuel ignition fuze. After that it started up fine. I drove it around that day and it was running fine. Then the next morning It started up fine and I let it idle for about 3 mins. After 3 mins the car slowly died. I started it up again and drove it around. It died a couple times on my way home. Only when I was not aplying pressure on the the fuel pedal. So at stop lights and going down steep hills. I'm not rely sure what to look for next. Any ideas would very appreciated.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check that out. Also, I forgot to mention that yesterday I started the car without any fuel pedal pressure and it idled fine for a long time. After letting idle for about 15 mins I went in and pressed down on my fuel pedal a little. As soon as I released the pedal RPMs slowely dropped to under 1000 then died completely. I'm not sure if this changes anything but thought I'd let you know.

Thanks,

-Jonny

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dave. I replaced the idle air control valve an the idling problem fixed but now there is another problem. I drove it today and it started to lurch a bit when I picked up speed. It was at about 20-30 mph when it lurched. After about 15mins of driving it the car lurched more aggressively and stolled completely. I let sit for about 5mins then it started again. About 5 mins later it did the same thing. This time it didn't start without using a bit of starter fluid. Any ideas?

intermittent problems are a pain.....

Coolant temperature sensor [2 wires, screws into thermostat housing on the intake manifold] -  check it.  I haven't seen one stall the car, but they can make starting tough.

check ECU for codes.

What I would do:

Fuel pressure gauge Teed into the line at the throttle body.

Voltmeter / or other indicator/s tapped into the various required circuits to watch for failure.