Ultimate Subaru Message Board

crap....started shift hard into overdrive

2006 forester non turbo

Bought it from an older friend who took really good care of it

Been driving fine for 2 months

All of a sudden it shifted hard into OD when cold yesterday (about 30F here in NY)

Stopped...started again and did it once more. a mile later stopped in grocery store...seemed fine after that

This morning did the same thing

The fluid is at normal level and extremely clean

I don't know what's in there but it is not the typical red color I am used to

It's almost clear...I have to look again and take a picture

I really don't need a tranny issue...!

Especially when we all know I will have HG issues at some point too...

Anyone have some insight please?

Start with the basics. I'd do the 3 time drain/fill method to make sure you have the correct and fresh fluid in there. See if the problem persists.

Some additives/cocktails out there are good for cleaning / smoothing things out if fluid alone doesn't cure it. 104 is still early for these transmissions.

+1 on above advise. There may be an external spin on filter for the auto tranny. If so, changing the filter would be a good thing to do at ATF change. Please don't drop the tranny pan looking for a filter in there. It would be only a screen wire that never needs attention. Dropping the is a big mistake, as the pan never seems to bolt up again without leaking. Been there, done that!!!!

... The fluid is at normal level and extremely clean ... not the typical red color I am used to It's almost clear...

To me, sounds like it might contain certain additive(s) mixed, such like TransX.

Worth check the coolant state, maybe the ATF and Coolant are getting Mixed.

However, a Drain and refill with fresh ATF of good quality,

such like Valvoline's "Maxlife" might help to solve it.

Kind Regards.

if it is the ATF-HP stuff from Subaru, it could be red in color if still made by Idemitsu. (some say 2 different sources have made it so.....?)

atf.jpg

But, a fluid change is a good , DIY place to start. inexpensive compared to almost any other trans work.

However, another concern might be whether someone has confused the front DIFF for the trans fill tube. It has happened before.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

A lot of newer ATF mixes are clear. Some are blue. Even saw some that was green once. Fluid color doesn't really determine what it is, just depends on what color of dye the fluid manufacturer feels like putting in it.

If the fluid is burned that's a problem. Doesn't sound like yours is burned, but old fluid can sometimes cause issues. A drain and refill + new filter isn't a bad idea, especially if the fluid has never been changed.

• 2 weeks later...

So far it seems to happen when the mornings are at or below freezing

After 3 miles of so...seems to stop doing it...

Well, my Wife's car which has the Automatic F4-EAT, does exactly the same if she or I drive the car immediately, after starting it cold in the Morning; but Never does that if the car has reached its normal operating temperatures.

Kind Regards.