Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rx Turbo Header pipe EA82T

I've had 3 do that. Happens when you dont have the pipe bolted to the head with that factory peice, and when the downpipe is not bolted to the trans in the two spots its supposed to....that lessens the chance of breakage by 100%....but they still do it, simply due to age.

There is ZERO aftermarket for these cars. Althought...if you search for the TWE Header thread, we are trying to get a company, TWE in cananda, to make us some Headers and downpipes...for performance applications of course.

I cannot afford those items, so at some point in the near future, I will be fabricating some....

There is ZERO aftermarket for these cars. Althought...if you search for the TWE Header thread, we are trying to get a company, TWE in cananda, to make us some Headers and downpipes...for performance applications of course.

Have any of you folks called them up to get an update?

Mine cracked and I will hopefully get a new header from TWE or WJM. My car won't even pass smog because of it, so its sitting. Too much exhaust is leaking out of the crack causing the O2 sensor to give the computer a false reading, so then the computer runs the engine to rich, which means more HydroCarbons (HC) coming out the exhaust causing it to fail smog by a lot. They cost about $260 brand new from the dealer. But I recommend trying to get on the TWE deal or have somebody build you a better designed header because the Subaru one is very restrictive. We will be taking a new count of soon.

I got mine from a fellow board member for a verry reasonable price.

its been discussed before but the restriction BEFORE the turbo keeps velocity up to help spool the turbo faster. the stock turbo is a bit small and increasing flow to and from it may cause over boost conditions at high rpm/speed.

I was advised to wait on the modified up pipe untill I had a larger turbo to match it with.

I can weld up my old one and let you have it for really cheap if you are interested.

The XT I "had" was bolted(downpipe) to everthing it was supposed to be. When I removed the engine, I had to remove the downpipe. Once the bolts were removed, the thing fell apart on the ground. It wasnt even that loud when running. After re-reading the first post, are we talking about the crossover pipe? The one on my 86 Turbo Wagon was cracked, under the shield so you cant see it. But you could sure hear it.

WJM, what kind of boost were you running when you had overboost? I have had a couple of turbo's that had the first cat gutted, and it ran quite well. Of course, I hadnt messed with the boost (yet).