Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Rx Turbo Header pipe EA82T

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 camosuba

camosuba

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Brisbane Australia

Posted 31 May 2004 - 05:58 AM

Has anyone had trouble with the header pipe cracking under the turbo and has anyone found or know of places that make aftermarket headers ?

regards Camo

#2 Meeky Moose

Meeky Moose

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,343 posts
  • Grants Pass

Posted 31 May 2004 - 07:41 AM

yup, mine did that... totally separated from the rest of the pipe.. only option.. put another one on .. no real aftermarket for these cars, unless you fab up something yourself..

#3 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 08:21 AM

I've had 3 do that. Happens when you dont have the pipe bolted to the head with that factory peice, and when the downpipe is not bolted to the trans in the two spots its supposed to....that lessens the chance of breakage by 100%....but they still do it, simply due to age.

There is ZERO aftermarket for these cars. Althought...if you search for the TWE Header thread, we are trying to get a company, TWE in cananda, to make us some Headers and downpipes...for performance applications of course.

I cannot afford those items, so at some point in the near future, I will be fabricating some....

#4 Myxalplyx

Myxalplyx

Old Wise and Dumb

• Members
  • 1,834 posts
  • New Castle

Posted 31 May 2004 - 12:55 PM

There is ZERO aftermarket for these cars. Althought...if you search for the TWE Header thread, we are trying to get a company, TWE in cananda, to make us some Headers and downpipes...for performance applications of course.

Have any of you folks called them up to get an update?

#5 Marck

Marck

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nipomo

Posted 31 May 2004 - 12:58 PM

Mine cracked and I will hopefully get a new header from TWE or WJM. My car won't even pass smog because of it, so its sitting. Too much exhaust is leaking out of the crack causing the O2 sensor to give the computer a false reading, so then the computer runs the engine to rich, which means more HydroCarbons (HC) coming out the exhaust causing it to fail smog by a lot. They cost about $260 brand new from the dealer. But I recommend trying to get on the TWE deal or have somebody build you a better designed header because the Subaru one is very restrictive. We will be taking a new count of soon.

#6 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 01:59 PM

I sent an email. No response yet.

#7 rallyruss

rallyruss

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,653 posts
  • San Jose CA

Posted 31 May 2004 - 02:24 PM

I got mine from a fellow board member for a verry reasonable price.

its been discussed before but the restriction BEFORE the turbo keeps velocity up to help spool the turbo faster. the stock turbo is a bit small and increasing flow to and from it may cause over boost conditions at high rpm/speed.
I was advised to wait on the modified up pipe untill I had a larger turbo to match it with.

I can weld up my old one and let you have it for really cheap if you are interested.

#8 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 02:58 PM

I get overboost with stock stuff at high RPMs with no cats and no muffler.

#9 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,128 posts
  • WA

Posted 31 May 2004 - 06:51 PM

The XT I "had" was bolted(downpipe) to everthing it was supposed to be. When I removed the engine, I had to remove the downpipe. Once the bolts were removed, the thing fell apart on the ground. It wasnt even that loud when running. After re-reading the first post, are we talking about the crossover pipe? The one on my 86 Turbo Wagon was cracked, under the shield so you cant see it. But you could sure hear it.
WJM, what kind of boost were you running when you had overboost? I have had a couple of turbo's that had the first cat gutted, and it ran quite well. Of course, I hadnt messed with the boost (yet).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users