Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2" lift making it hard to steer.

jread

Put my 2" strut tops on last night and the steering is really heavy now. I have a 93 loyale.

I put 1 1/4" engine drop from an outback on and didn't extend the steering shaft as I read the double u power steering coupler on my loyale would work.

Is the steering shaft the problem or is there another issue. I also disconnected the sway bar could this be the issue?

Seems as though I had just put too much tension on the system when dropping the engine and not undoing the steering coupler... Which is also likely why it was so difficult to do so. Managed to make an extension works perfect now.

• 2 months later...

Yes your CV joints at a funny angle now. By dropping the cross member the same amount everything will straighten out to factory spec. The blocks did cause this by bending your axles down at  angle. you may wanna drop your sub frame about an inch as well.

Yes your CV joints at a funny angle now. By dropping the cross member the same amount everything will straighten out to factory spec. The blocks did cause this by bending your axles down at  angle. you may wanna drop your sub frame about an inch as well.

no. 2" strut tops and 1.25 crossmember is absolutely fine.

EA82s have quite a bit of positive camber stock, a lift and larger tires makes it look worse, even if it isn't (seriously, can we have a sticky on this yet? I swear it gets asked several times a month). Make sure the strut tops were installed in the correct direction, and you're good.

... i have e82 that i know is out of 80-83 car ...

Without being disrespectful, allow me to correct you: The oldest EA82 engines available, are from october 1984, on the 1985 models of the Subaru Leone (Third gen) lineup; so it is impossible that you have an EA82 from a 80 - 83 car.

... wher can i find numbers too find out exactlt what ive got? ...

That's a good question; look at the top of the engine's block, in the middle, around the area under the intake manifold; it have a rectangle emblazoned in the metal, with the letters: "EA81" or "EA71" stamped.

... where can i find some literature to see if i can lift my car? and a list of instructions ...

In the Offroad section, which is here:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/forum/19-off-road/

Also, one of my writeups might help you:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/106807-improved-shock-absorbers-and-spring-coils-on-loyales/?do=findComment&comment=1302391

I kindly suggest you to start your own thread, with your Questions.

Good Luck, Kind Regards.