Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking to buy my first Subaru, any advice

Hello All, 

Newbie here. I am in the market for a new Subaru, a WRX Sti hatchback 6 speed . Any advice you could provide with the pros and cons would be great . the one thing I have noticed is that good quality low mileage used cars are not that much less than buying a new WRX so I am opting for the new car route.

I am a long time VW TDI fan, and as much as I loved my TDI's I think I am over having a diesel car.

Thanks

I read that new WRX and Sti are only available in 4 door sedan body style. The hatchback is no longer an option. Think of the Sti as a hot rod version of the WRX. The Sti is kind of a pricey upgrade for that extra performance.

Lots of Subie owners are X Audi and VW long time owners, myself included. I am glad I made the switch. I loved the way the VW and Audis drove and handled, Seemed like the drive trains were very reliable, but little plastic stuff continually would break needing repair. IMO, Subies are much better in over all quality. Things just don't break as often, and parts cost less. Welcome to Soobie land.

If you've owned TDIs you should be familiar with turbo maintenance requirements, oil/fluid changes and driving habits and such. That's a plus.

Brand new, the biggest hurdle you have is not getting screwed on financing. Come up with 8-10 grand for a down payment. Dealers are almost always running some kind of special finance offer, and they tend to get better during the holidays. Lots of people go out shopping for Christmas presents and such, the dealers get jealous because car sales tend to drop off.

Thank you all.

I did notice that the hatchback has been discontinued for 2016 - that leaves a 2015 leftover ( which I think does not exist ) or a used low mileage one 

I thought the WRX and STI are sedan only for model year 2015. Be careful on buying either as a used car. Too often, the previous owner has run the hell out of it, particularly if driven by a young kid.