Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2 oil pan drain plugs?

Those plugs are normally used to plug the drain holes in small boats.

It will last for a while, but the problem I can see is that the rubber isn't designed to hold up to hot oil. 

Keep an eye on it.  The problem is, it will work well for a while, then let you down big time some where down the road, after you had forgotten all about it.  Just like the last plug did.

If you pull off the pan, and repair it with a nut and bolt with a gasket both sides, it will probably have a longer life.  Like to the end of the car's remaining life.

My grandfather used to patch windshields with a nut, bolt, washers and inner tube gaskets.  I am sure this would work on a Subaru oilpan as well as on a DeSoto windshield, if you choose the correct materials for the gasket.

Thanks for your concern guys, Yeah its absolutely temporary for sure. The ones online are made for oil pans of all kinds but i had to just get it fixed asap so i went with the marine one as it was the only one i could find at the stores in that size. I really just need it to get me through the next two weeks. Then ill have time for a more permanent fix or pan swap. But i will say for being in a bind, a $5 part and really no prep work or install time to speak off, Its done its job and got me out of a serious pinch. Its really snug in there. Ill be watching it very closely though.

robm, I like that idea thanks