Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 Loyale rear shock removal

The 2 big ones at the top of the strut mount?  Those are pretty big bolts.  Oil them.  Work them slowly.  Loosen til sticking, screw back in.  Loosen again til sticking, screw back in.  Takes a good long time, and they will be hot when they come out.  The advancing of the angle will be small for a while.  If you use an air tool, the risk of snapping is higher.

Re install with anti seize.

I am in the long, slow process of replacing my rear struts on my 4WD Loyale.  They are very similar to yours.

The lower bolts needed a 3 ft breaker bar to crack, then they were hard to get off.  The upper ones needed a 3 ft breaker bar all the way off, with a piece of pipe on the bar to crack them.  That was with spritz lube applied before and during the operation.  It was hard work.

I got an M12 x 1.25 tap and die to clean up the bolts and the welded-on nuts.  I hope they will go back together more easily.   Currently, I am waiting for my mechanic to assemble the springs on the new shocks, as there is nowhere in town I can borrow or even buy spring compressors.

I got the tap and die from KBC Tools out of Missauga.   They have an American outlet as well.  They were C$30 with shipping and taxes. I ordered them Saturday afternoon, and they were delivered by mail on Wednesday.  I would say price and quality is decent and service is awesome.