Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can I use Subaru manual mode for everyday use?

I have an automatic Subaru impreza 2009 2.5i and I have discovered the manual mode, (The +/- in this image http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/47884906.jpg) and I have been using it for a while and I know how to how to upshift correctly it seems (I let the car downshift by itself) but I recently have been wondering if this is at all bad for the car. Will it ruin the car/wear it out more?

I just find it more enjoyable to use while driving, shifting myself instead of just pushing a pedal, I am a college student and don't have a lot of fun throughout the day, doing this makes driving much more enjoyable for me.

For anyone saying why I didn't get a manual, I am the youngest in the family and my parents bought this for my older sibling, my sibling no longer uses the car and I don't want to ask for a new car and don't want to seem ungrateful so I am using their car.

Edited by altiris

I have an automatic Subaru impreza 2009 2.5i and I have discovered the manual mode, (The +/- in this image http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/47884906.jpg) and I have been using it for a while and I know how to how to upshift correctly it seems (I let the car downshift by itself) but I recently have been wondering if this is at all bad for the car. Will it ruin the car/wear it out more?

I just find it more enjoyable to use while driving, shifting myself instead of just pushing a pedal, I am a college student and don't have a lot of fun throughout the day, doing this makes driving much more enjoyable for me.

For anyone saying why I didn't get a manual, I am the youngest in the family and my parents bought this for my older sibling, my sibling no longer uses the car and I don't want to ask for a new car and don't want to seem ungrateful so I am using their car.

As I understand it the +/- shifting is just a way to ask the transmission nicely for the next or previous gear. I don't think it will let you over-rev the motor or anything, it shifts when it absolutely has to. I use this feature fairly often on my 2005 Outback because like you say it IS a little more fun. I'm no expert but the auto tranny shifts all the time so I don't think this other shifting is going to hurt it any.

I have an 09 forester with that feature. Like mentioned above, I don't think it will let you kill the transmission.

My older loyales, I drive all the time using the 1 2 D selector to get the shift points where I want them. Doing it for decades, no trouble. Even those won't let you do anything fatal, although 2 to 1 is harsh. I just don't do that often. The 09 is smooth for all I've tried so far.

I would like to say that simply because it is in the manual, doesn't make it a good idea.

The manual says "sport mode" (manual mode) will shift up for you all by it's self-automatically. Don't worry about shifting up. Let it ride. I did that for a couple days in a loaner Subie. Great fun but, certainly would have trashed the engine shifting at red-line-governed trip points at pea-wad-fk RPMs. Can't see even a Subie taking such continual abuse. Would never subject my daily driver to that.

Read your owner's manual under "sport shift" and give it a try. You will do it exactly TWICE-unless it is a loaner.

Please let us know how that turns out for you. Seriously.

I would like to say that simply because it is in the manual, doesn't make it a good idea.

The manual says "sport mode" (manual mode) will shift up for you all by it's self-automatically. Don't worry about shifting up. Let it ride. I did that for a couple days in a loaner Subie. Great fun but, certainly would have trashed the engine shifting at red-line-governed trip points at pea-wad-fk RPMs. Can't see even a Subie taking such continual abuse. Would never subject my daily driver to that.

Read your owner's manual under "sport shift" and give it a try. You will do it exactly TWICE-unless it is a loaner.

Please let us know how that turns out for you. Seriously.

I am completely confused about your post. "will shift up for you all by it's self-automatically. Don't worry about shifting up. Let it ride." Are you telling me nonsense? Ive read from other people that the manual mode will shift for you before redlining but why would you do that normally...thats not how you're supposed to drive, is it not? Regular D mode does not wait for the engine to just hit redline to shift and so doesn't SPORT mode. The way you are telling me to use the manual mode is as if it was in D which doesn't make any sense at all as it defeats the purpose. What are you telling me exactly? What will I do "exactly TWICE"? I am completely confused by your post, maybe someone else can clarify. Also. what is it that you want me to try and report back on?

I am. That post just made me really upset, just seems like complete bs or something a drunk person would right. If your intentions were to help me then I apologize but otherwise, what the hell are you saying? Who the hell drives the car waiting for it to shift at redline, that just doesn't make any damn sense.

Edited by altiris