Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It wasn't my idea, I am satisfied with the 92 Loyale. But someone in the family got a 01 Forester. It's shiny and new looking.

Tell me relevant facts about the Forester vehicle. Is it 4WD? 2.2 or 2.5L enigine? Any idiosyncranies to watch out for? Gas consumption ?

I own a 1999 Forester S 5 spd., and it seems that the newer generation of Subaru's are not the same as their forbearers. It is true that 2.2 L and earlier Subaru's were, as they say, bulletproof, and I know many people in Vermont who have more than 300,000 miles on the original engines and one person who put 500,000 miles on an original engine - truly astonishing. The 2.5 engines, inaugurated in, I think, 1994-95 are an entirely different story. However, if you are looking at a used Forester, it's probably best to go with '99 or newer, because the 98 MY still uses the Phase I DOHC 2.5 engine, which is plagued by internal coolant leaks, leading to blown headgaskets. Many of these engines are blowing up due to poor design, not merely user negligence. The 99 Foresters were fitted with the Phase II SOHC 2.5 engine, which has less moving parts, creates less heat, provides more torque, and is generally better designed. Maintenance on the Phase two is also, therefore, a bit easier because you have only two camshafts.

However, there is also a recall on the '99 for external coolant leaks, but this is not nearly as severe. The recall entails adding 125 mL of coolant conditioner into the radiator, and this seems to be doing the trick - it contains silicone which seals up existing and potential leaks. Subaru recommends that the conditioner be added at every coolant change.

Both rear wheel bearings in my car have also been replaced twice (@35,000 & 69,000 miles - pretty ghastly). They were replaced with tapered bearings (same as in the legacy) the second time so this should do the trick. Why in the world did they put the cheaper caged bearings in the Forester and Impreza in the first place??? Anyway, if you find one, make sure to check that this work has been done because a local dealer charged $887 to have both rear ones replaced.

So, in spite of all these issues, which may have turned you off from buying one altogether. I think this car is great. I service the vehicle myself and hope that conscientious maintenance should get me to at least 200,000 K. Only time will tell.

Guest lothar34

AWD. No dual-range transfer case in the U.S. Manual transmissions get a viscous center diff and 50/50 torque split, autos have a cluch to transfer torque and I think drive with 90% going to the front under normal conditions. Make sure your family member reads the owner's manual.

My '98 with the 5-speed gets between 21 and 25mpg, depending on how much time I spend on the freeways.