Ultimate Subaru Message Board

painting interior plastic trim pieces

I have a blue interior Subaru and i have a hard time finding trim pieces the right color. i have some identical trim pieces that are gray, but i want them to match the rest of the car. My idea was to try and find the correct color plastic paint and paint the gray trim pieces to match. my problem is finding the right color paint, I either find to dark or to light color of blue. I know napa can mix exterior paint to match and i was wondering if anyone knows of a place where i can get a plastic paint mixed to match. 

I am also wondering if anyone knows any good repairs for the door vinyl (dog claw marks, typical of most Subarus i find :)). im hoping to get the interior of this car back to as good as new. 

That looks like a good product. You can go to your local autobody supply shop, and they'll fix you up a spray bomb in any color of the rainbow. Clean the part spotless with denatured alcohol, thats when you use the promoter. Then prime it with *shock* walmart brand primer. Then paint it with the laquer from the paint store. Then use walmart semigloss clear to keep it from being TOO shiny.

The walmart primer, and clear wont react with most paints.

Will do, my hopes are high. Once dry it seems it will be a nice match with only a couple coats and maybe a final coat of gloss when its all said and done. I'm going to have to order the plastic adheasion promoter so it will probably be a few days before I get that, but I'll post an update when I get everything.

For painting interior plastic pieces, you want to use SEM Color Coat with their adhesion promoter.  SEM has colors to match many interiors and can do color matching and send it to you in an aerosol can.  Just give them a call.  They will also send you their color chart if you ask.  This stuff is great.  I have used it to restore the interior finish on my 1978 Piper Warrior and the parts looked new.  Just wash and clean the parts, clean them with alcohol, apply adhesion promoter, and paint.  Drying time is only a few minutes.  Avoid sanding unless you just have to because it will dull the texture of the plastic.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the adheasion promoter and it looks promising. My test with just smearing a bit of the paint on it after I stayed it with adheasion promotor worked fairly well the paint didn't come off easily. I need to get a few more things, but so far I'd say its going to work well