Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Passenger side cv gone bad on my 1995 legacy auto trans. Pulled out of my parts car a 97 manual trans legacy. Are these interchangable. The 97 looks larger, shaft diameter thicker and joints look beefier. Are these interchangeable?. Also when I removed cv axle from the working 1995 the splined shaft came out of tranny followed by tranny fluid. Doesn't appear damaged so I just pushed it back in. But before I proceed wanted to verify if I have a bigger problem here or anything special needs to be done to avoid a bigger problem.

Just read the other half of your post. The spline shaft that attaches the C.V. to the transmission should not be coming out. If it just fell out when you pulled the axle out it will probably still work, but i would say it does need to be taken care of sooner than later.  the cv axel may not be cuplrit eaither is their any damage to the boot or any play?

Edited by mikaleda

Oil that came out is dark brown. Gear oil? How to check? Also cv is definitely shot boot torn, tons of play.

Dark brown would be gear oil which is what you should be seeing. And if the CV is shot for sure and the car was still running like that it will probably still function once everything is back in place. I wouldn't venture far enough to say its neccisarilly safe that way though.

Was the circlip still on the end of the stub when it popped out? If the circlip is gone you need to get a new circlip.

Larger axle is probably aftermarket. They always have larger joints. Not always a good thing either. It'll fit and work, but may cause a vibration, may also start clicking soon.

Front diff uses 80w-90 gear oil. Dipstick is on the passenger side of the trans.

Was the circlip still on the end of the stub when it popped out? If the circlip is gone you need to get a new circlip.

Is a circlip all that holds those in? Cause I've pulled the Axel out the doj cup before when trying to remove a stubborn Axel and those stubs are super solid.