Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tuning - worth it? Having trouble finding real data

Hello all,

I seem to be having trouble finding anything that feels worth listening too about this, and wanted to just ask directly. My main knowledge is with my other car, which is a completely different beast(RWD, High power V8, etc.) I have a 2002 Subaru Legacy L that I picked up out of desperation a few years back and it has been a phenominal car. Generally drive it places I don't want the show/race car and during the winter time. Love driving this car in the snow. I started wondering if there were advantages with tuning the car. I've been working to replace most of the worn out parts and this site led me to a few i didn't realize might be causing my minor griefs with the car. Since I have most of that replaced and the car is driving pretty solid now, looking to mess with some more.

So, anyone run a chip or ODBII plug chip and find it worthwhile? Seems the average gains are not huge, 1-2MPG and maybe 10-15hp and similar torque. Can't find anything about gains through the curve to know if peak doesn't go up much but the curve gets stronger. Is a rather heavy car so 10-15hp isn't much.

Regardless of if that is worth it or not, any other upgrades that are recommended? I just really don't see a lot about this for the Legacy L. I don't plan to dump tons of money into it (prefer it go into the other car) but wouldn't mind making it slightly more enjoyable to drive.

Thanks!

I have headers on my 00 & 01 outbacks,  can't claim to notice much difference , other than occasional vibrations at certain rpms. I do "feel" better having them but.... Fabricating a kn high flow air filter to fit could help but they don,t seem to offer one other than a stock fit replacement. Delta cams would certainly change things if you wanted to go that deep. Just not a lot of options for a legacy, now an sti ... that has power.