Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Overheating EA82T

So just driving along on the freeway today, car starts smoking a lot more than usual, and the heater is blowing cold when its on full heat. Pulled over off the freeway and tried dumping some water in the radiator because it looked a little low, and after pouring some in it starts bubbling back out the radiator and blowing steam out the intake area? Was dripping antifreeze, but couldn't tell where from. HG's possibly? I hope not. The car just had headgaskets redone about 15k ago. 

when a water cooled performance air pump of this age gets work done on say , head gaskets it is only risk taking if the other parts of the cooling system are not closely inspected and any suspect items being replaced. Mild steel pipes inserted into the block, the manifold, throttle body and turbo banjo bolts do rot out after 25 to 30 years. Rubber hoses might last 13 to 15 years easy when madein Japan - if you get double that you are so lucky and should reward engine with all new coolant hoses - I do anyway. Lose water/coolant from these, and welch freeze plugs, you wil cook your turbo engine. Every old car that is treasured really needs extra monitoring like engine metal temp overheat alerts, low or no oil pressure alerts - mine do

As Ma Oze Bong says, keep adding water until you can find the source of water loss - don't forget to watch tail pipe for continuous run of steam ...

• Like 3

Make sure check the small coolant line BENEATH the turbo. If it leaks it looks like a coolant leak from the right bank.

You will have to feel for it when the engine is cold. (unless you have ready access to proctology tools)

It's purpose it to siphon coolant through the turbo bearings (through a water jacket) after the engine is shut down to keep the bearings from coking up. (no turbo timer needed)

The hose is often overlooked and when it blows, it is all over, ask me how I know.

that little puppy of a hose is the reason I have an entirely new (to me) Subaru.

anyone want a 1988 GL10 1.8 Turbo 5 speed pushbutton 4X4 Wagon? (for parts) I just happen to have one left!

Good luck with that.

quietly,

timothy

• Like 1

An overheat this bad has always lead to headgasket replacement in my experience with EA82 SPFI engines. 

I check coolant every morning.  Both by squeezing the upper radiator hose, and checking the level in the overflow bottle.  If it begins to disappear, it is troubleshooting time.  Even then, I've had an intake gasket fail, and loose enough coolant to cook the headgaskets before I knew it.

Watch the condition of ALL of the cooling system hoses, don't wait for them to fail.  Same with the water pump, and radiator.  If you rely on the temperature gauge to indicate a cooling system problem, it's too late. I have learned this the hard way.

• Like 2

15000 miles is just about enough time for the cylinder head bolts to loosen big time, and cause all kinds of coolant and overheating problems.  You could first try removing the camtower covers and attempt to tighten the bolt heads with a 17mm x 3/8" socket.  If you you find that they are loose, then that could be your problem.  If they are still tight, then look for something else.

• Like 2

So it was the hose below the turbo like Tsuru said, It seems like it got kind of jammed inbetween the flange when I installed the new turbo, and the hose split. Hopefully it didn't damage the heads or the gaskets. I pulled over as soon as I noticed it was getting hot, so I hope that's all I have to replace. I'll let you know. 

you can still get this hose genuine, or, I found a hose for the rear heater of a Landcruiser of the 80's or 90's had same ID and bend - Gates did one. My latest was to use silicone hose and a gates coil spring like bend in straight hose maker thing ....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...