Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA 82 lash adjusters

Thank you so much I have the chilton and the Haynes manual and The information in one manual kind of conflicts that information in the other I just wanted to hear it from someone who knew thank you

Also the manual says to use RTV sealant when attaching the camshaft housing is there anything special I should use other then you're basic blue RTV when I took it apart the sealant that was in there was gray and a little firmer and had some leaks is there something I might use that would do a little better

Thank you

J

• Like 1

The "gasket" between the cam tower and the heads is anaerobic sealant.  MAJOR difference between that and RTV.  Any overage that oozes out of the sealing area will not harden, and get washed away by the oil.  Only the sealant in the gap, that does not get air, will solidify.  You don't want RTV floating around, or possibly blocking things.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/156615-enginetranny-is-out-preventive-maintenance-advice/

i use both of the following as well - just depends on the job.  anaerobic is nice as it won't glob up internally. 

I used Napa permatex anaerobic on mine.

We use Permatex Ultra Grey 599. 

Just don't get any gobs floating around and clean the surfaces very well before applying.  Also, it can't sit and wait: it must be joined quickly.

Emily