Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pretty big power steering leak

Been awhile since I've had to post a question, which is a good thing, means no problems.

I've still got an 89 gl wagon, ea82, m/t, non turbo, d/r.

On the day we were to return from Spokane, to Omak, after thanksgiving festivities. I walked outside to discover a huge puddle under my car, oil level was good, checked power steering fluid, it was low. I had a quart, put it in and immediately it started peeing it right back out. Went to walmart, bought 6 quarts, got back an put some more in hoping I could easily see where exactly the hose had worn through, couldn't be lucky enough to see it, of course I'm to damn big to get far enough under to look very well.

I took my chances bought another six quarts at the gas station when I filled up and hoped it would make the 130 mile journey home. After my 4th quart, I discovered that other than not having power steering when it was low, the pump wasn't making any noise when driving (don't understand that) and it wasn't until I put enough in that it would start leaking from wherever and down on to my exhaust and making quite the smoke show, that it would start to make noise. So I just stopped putting it in.

I now have the complete hose from a local wrecking yard, they had one stripped down already so it didn't take them any time to get me one, my question is, am I going to have to remove a bunch of stuff to get at where the lines hook up to the steering gear/rack, I know the ones on top are obviously very accessible where they come out of the reservoir. I've got a shop I might be able to use in a week or 2 if its going to take long, (cold as hell here right now). Problem is we use this car to take my son to special Olympics sporting events and I need to head out Sunday. Its only a 90 mile trip to where I'm going so I wouldn't be far from home, but if its not going to require a big dismantle to get at the steering rack end of it, I may just tough it out and by a bunch of hand warmers LOL.

Thanks folks

You can get at the lines at the rack end. It's kind of a pain in the butt, but it's possible. It might help to unbolt the two motor mount nuts and pitch stopper to jack the engine up a few inches if you need more clearance. The power steering system takes ATF dextron, not power steering fluid.

PS operates at scary high pressures, it's in the range of 1500psi... Not something to mess about with trying to fix. Use the proper parts or nothing. You can always cut the rubber pressure line and loop it back into the top of the reservoir.... That keeps fluid in the system so you don't ruin the pump. I had to do that with the hydraulic system on another car I own. It's not ideal, but you can get by without ruining any parts.

Remember: pressure is resistance to flow, if you have no resistance (in the case of looping the line) there's no pressure, nothing to worry about. That's the same reason a tiny pinhole leak in a PS line will just piss out fluid, it's a much "easier" path for the fluid to take.

• Like 1

I wasn't attempting to stop it, once the level of power steering fluid got low enough that it slowed to a drip, I was simply touching a rag to various spots along the hose until the drip stopped or significantly slowed even further, in an attempt to figure out where along the line the leaked was. I am going bear the cold and replace it before we head out of town this weekend.